OT Good headboard reading light

Can anyone recommend a reading light that will clip on to the *vertical* edge of a bed headboard, has a switch on the light, not the cord and preferably LED? A flexible neck would be nice too.

You would have thought that there would be any number of lights that would do but ALL the clip on lights seem to be designed to clip on to desk edges and if clipped to a headboard would result in the stem of the light being horizontal and projecting into the space my head may want to occupy!

I'm not averse to one that I could screw to the back of the headboard but I just can't find anything suitable.

Yes, we do have bedside lights but they're in just the wrong position when we're working on a crossword together in bed when a central headboard mounted light would be much better.

This is the nearest I've found but I know that I'll hate "cool white" light.

Any suggestions?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I stuck one of the Rolson 3 LED bulkhead lights to the headboard. It needs new batteries every week or three, and has a narrow spot, just the right size for reading a Kindle, but too small for magazinse.

Reply to
John Williamson

A while ago I used a 'littlite', designed for use on mixing desks etc in theatres, on a bed. I screwed the light's base to a small block of wood and cable-tied that to a bed post. The light's base had a rotating off/dim/bright knob and the gooseneck allowed the light to be angled fairly easily. The one I used was powered from a wall-wart transformer.

I think I got mine - which used a conventional bulb - this was long before modern LED systems - from StudioSpares. It wasn't particularly cheap, IIRC, but I had it and was abale to adapt it for bedtime use. The dimmer aspect was useful because my partner hated bright light while she was asleep.

See:

for an extensive range of lights.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

These would screw onto the front, or the wall, but have a vertical gooseneck output

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I've just got one of these for a light over the bathroom scales. Should work fine as a bed head light. The 10W would be plenty and it is available in warm white.

0hjk

Would something like this be any use?

I know they're intended to clip onto a kindle or other e-reader, but I can't see why they wouldn't work on a crossword.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Hmm, I take it you're unmarried? I can't image any woman allowing one of those within a mile of her bedroom. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I know one who has.

Reply to
0hjk

Damn soillchuckers again?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Move over to one of the bedside lights and lie on top of her.

Reply to
ARW

/ Move over to one of the bedside lights and lie on top of her.

Reply to
JimK

You're gonna think that we're really kinky be we really do work on crosswords together. ;-) That could be difficult with your method.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I bought two of these from IKEA: (£10 each):

I got round the clip being "wrong" by screwing a small block of wood to the bedhead, then clipping to that. They're extremely good (I think): the light is very bright, but very focused, and so mine doesn't disturb the wife, and vice versa. Had 'em about 3 years so far.

John

Reply to
Another John

I'd have to move the bed out from the wall to do that. Not impossible of course but if only they'd make one with the clip the "right" way round. I can't be the only person who'd like a simple clip on light to fit a headboard!

I suspect I'll end up modifying a light like this. Would prefer one with the switch on the light (where it will be more accessible) than on the flex.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

We have a different solution. The conventional lamp shade type bedside lights have spot bulbs. The spot shines on the ceiling, and the reflection lights the book from above.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris