OT: Good bathroom scales?

Hi All,

We are looking for some decent yet vfm (sub 300 quid?) bathroom scales.

W seems to have gone though a string of scales that have either been unpredictable (step on 3 times, 3 different readings) or just unreliable (typically electronic ones, not switching on, not going off etc).

Does anyone have and practical recommendations for some that they know are available today that they actually own / use / trust please?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. They will need to be used on carpet.

Reply to
T i m

Not sure of make but our bathroom scales are electronic, having been going faultlessly for years and always agree with the doctor's (more or less) and are consistent. They probably cost £25. OTOH if you are picky, get one of these:

can't be inaccurate or go wrong, unless the gravitational constant changes (unlikely).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Personally I will avoid Tefal bathroom scales again like the plague. They are erratic and now include computer technology for the sake of it which makes them very irritating to use. Want to know your weight? Forget it. You need to step on and off several times to get them in the mood. Hmmm my weight is: Error.

Don't step on them straight after someone else or it just tells you the weight difference between them and you. And if you do manage to get a reading it pesters you to store the value in one memory or another and nobody else can use the scales until you've done it.

Can anyone recommend some bathroom scales that you can just stand on that show your weight? Is that too much to ask for nowadays?

Reply to
David in Normandy

£300 ????? Did you mean £30?
Reply to
fictitiousemail

Ooops yes!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Damn - the ones I suggested were £300 and rather nice too!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Shame .. :-(

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Actually, I think they will be fine if the gravitational constant changes (they give the same reading on the moon for example). Note that there are some theories where the gravitational constant does change over cosmological time-scales.

More realistically, they will become inaccurate if the weights corrode (but that's not a problem in normal use).

Reply to
Martin Bonner

-Actually, I think they will be fine if the gravitational constant

-changes (they give the same reading on the moon for example). Note

-that there are some theories where the gravitational constant does

-change over cosmological time-scales.

Oh poo, you are right, of course - even less to go wrong!

-More realistically, they will become inaccurate if the weights corrode

Only two weights and generally stainless

Reply to
Bob Mannix

All woman will tell you that the ones that underweigh you are the best ones. And that incudes the skinny birds.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

;-)

My bird is getting skinnier, lost 2 st and more to go (she says).

The (iffy) scales we have at the moment are supposed to show BMI and she's chuffed as she's now just 'overweight'. ;-)

Me, I'm just too short for my weight (even at 6' 2") ;-(

T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , ARWadsworth writes

I've found that giving them a good kick to switch them on usually gives a "better" weight

I've always found them to be a bit variable, I've grown out of expecting an "accurate" result

What are you trying to measure ? If you are trying to lose weight or even check it, you are looking for an average anyway

go for a piss and you have probably changed your weight by 0.2 kg ish, drink a pint you put on 500g

Reply to
geoff

In message , T i m writes

Not as much as I am, I'll bet

Reply to
geoff

Is this the machines or the women?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Pity. I could have recommended a couple within the first budget - both made for the medical world.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Well, now that you mention ... I reckon if we added up all the money we had spent/////wasted on scales that proved to be crap. :-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

And that's a shame isn't it Geoff. When we get a new scale we try it on various surfaces just to see what is considered ideal. Hopefully that includes carpet. :-)

Indeed. It just needs to be predictable rather than accurate. If you get on / off it 3 times in a row you'd like to think it would read the same +- a small bit.

Of course, but if someone is weighing themselves at the same time of the day over a two month period you would expect to see a graph that was showing a general trend and a fairly smooth line. With some of these scales the live would look more like the Alps!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Apologies if this shows up twice - I have some computer fault tonight.

I collected some information last September about the accuracy of bathroom scales; the same scales are still in the shops, so the data is probably still correct.

For the scales sold with the name Weight Watchers, and made by Babyliss/Conair, they talk about a weight tolerance on the scales of + or -

1% of body weight plus one division (one division on their scales is 0.1 kg, or 1/4 lb if set to show weight in pounds). So this tolerance for many people will be around 0.7 kg. The user has to decide if this is good enough for them, remembering 'counting is accurate, but all measurement is approximate'.

For scales from Salter/Homedics I was told the "accuracy we have is +/- 1% of the weight applied ".

On the Tanita Scales web page was the statement "The weight readings are accurate to within +/- their graduation". The graduations are nearly all 0.1kg.

I know that one Tanita scale, Digital Lithium Bathroom Scale HD-365, is one where standing on it turns it on (no need to tap it first) and it turns itself off after ten seconds. Like many scales, it needs to be on a hard surface, but the hard surface can be a rigid board placed on top of a carpet. I have no idea why scale manufacturers are so reluctant to state the accuracy of their products on the boxes in which they are packed. For all the scales I could find in my local shops, not one had any information about accuracy.

Anode

Reply to
ah.

And the posting should have said From Anode, and not from 'ah'. Further evidence of the previously mentioned computer trouble being experinced to night. Sorry.

Reply to
Anode

Get her a Wii Fit. It will track the weight over time, BMI, and do little graphs and let you set targets etc.

(it let me set a target to gain two pounds in a fortnight - hit the goal with ease! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm