OT: glue to repair a Vauxhall steering wheel

Hi, Slightly off topic however can any of you clever guys suggest a suitable glue to repair the horn button cover on a 1999 Vauxhall Zafira steering wheel. The centre boss is complete with the air bag unit and is made of a plastic /rubber material. The horn button has split and I need to try and repair it, I have tried rubber solution glue to glue a patch on the back but the material seems very 'oily' and will not take the glue. I have cleaned with acetone before applying the glue. Any ideas of repair methods or glue would be appreciated. Rgds Steve

Reply to
scm

Araldite rapid,the surface has to be clean from any sort of grease or debri,that applys to all surfaces before bonding. Apply as you have done with a plastic bridge behind it for a sounder bond.

Reply to
George

I'm afraid Araldite Rapid has failed to stick, despite thorough cleaning. However ancient duck tape on the outer side seems to be ok, need to see how it stands up to heat and hands!

Reply to
scm

Impact adhesive like Evostik - where you apply to both surfaces, leave

10 mins until touch dry, then assemble the repair

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , scm writes

go and liberate one from a scrapyard

Reply to
geoff

Superglue sometimes works quite well, as does car body filler (polyester resin rather than epoxy) especially when combined with a bit of glass cloth. The tensile strength is crap but with glass to sort that, and the rest of the glue in shera mode, its not too bad.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Look for some PVC repair glue, IIRC it is made of PVC and its a bugger to stick.

Reply to
dennis

Gorilla Glue ? Sticks most things.

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

I thought you were pulling my plonka until I did a Google to

apologies..........

Reply to
Tom