OT Global warming

Fifth century BC????? Riiiiight.

Your dementia troubling you again?

Reply to
harryagain

That should, of course, have been AD. Not that it changes the basic fact that the rabbits we have today were almost certainly introduced by the Normans.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It was claimed on QI that Norman rabbits were kept penned for centuries, and only became wild in Victorian times.

Can't say I believed that ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

On 08/01/2014 15:26, Jethro_uk wrote: ...

The Aussies did build a rabbit proof fence, so it might be possible. However, I also find it rather improbable that every enclosure worked perfectly for centuries.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It didn't wwork. And now they have cane toads.

Reply to
harryagain

It worked in that it slowed the rapid spread of rabbits. However, it is very difficult to maintain a fence that long, so it didn't stop them entirely. It became a lot less important as a rabbit control measure after the introduction of myxomatosis. However, it is still maintained as it has proved to be a useful barrier against dingos, emus, foxes, and feral goats. It also provides a 20 metre wide fire break.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

climate change is now what this should be called apparently. As for rabbits, well, rabbits dig holes so I'd imagine they were not long in captivity.

Silly answer.

Who took them to Australia though?

Brian

Reply to