OT - getting my website back online

If you can get the domain transferred to your name (or the login to adminis= ter the domain) by co-operative means this would be best.

I run a local community web site with the domain registered through Fasthos= ts and free hosting using x10hosting. This works well, but note that the f= ree x10hosting service only support email redirection for 3 addresses @ you= r domain with no catch-all.

If you use a free hosting service, make sure you transfer the domain to x10= hosting as well to ensure the correct address appears in browsers. My part= icular reason for advising this is that I delayed doing this and had my web= site blacklisted by Facebook since as well as legitimate users of free hos= ting services there are also spammers using them.

HTH!

David.

Reply to
dneale123

It may be galling to lose your domain but probably doesn't matter much. The internet is a fast changing place and it won't be long before a new one is just as established.

I run a number of low cost sites quite easily like this:

Register a domain at a cost of about £10-£15/year. Take the limited free hosting which comes with the registration. In my case this is 20MB of server space of professional standard but no databases, from hostroute.com.

Upload and install the free Content Management System GetSimple from

This is like a mini drupal/wordpress system. from there on building your site and altering and updating it is a breeze. You do it through your browser in semi wysiwyg style. If you don't know any html you will have to use the free standard templates, but that's probably okay, there are quite a few. There are add-ons for blogs, SEO, contact forms, galleries and stuff. If you get short of space you may have to store images or files elsewhere and link to them in the normal way.

So viola, a modern, dynamic, seo friendly, updateable, backupable, editable, future-proofed, easily managed site on its own domain at negligable cost and totally in your control.

Ask me if you decide to go that route and need help, but it's very straightforward if you read the manual, or ask on the GetSimple Forum.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

No Hubnut. fairly sure they were a one man/back bedroom type company. They were pretty good at the begining, reasonable connectivity speeds and up times, it just worked, quick to respond and helpful (even at silly hours) when things did fall over, billing was never a strong point though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've just looked.

All the links on the left point to examplesite.co.uk/pagename etc, but the 'home' link at the very top points to googlesites.com/examplesite/ and once that's followed everything is googlesites.com/examplesite/ links. Slightly strange.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nominet are also very responsive to complaints in these cases.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q