OT : Gas/Electricity cost

It may depend on the additional network operator charges set by the regulator (whereby whoever owns the network gets a certain amount per unit, irrespective of whether they're the supplier)

If the guy paying 12p/unit is out in the sticks, it makes sense that the network is more expensive to operate than one where most cable is underground in an urban area.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

You can't get much more "out in the sticks" than I am, middle or the North Pennines, they don't call it "Englands Last Wilderness" with out reason. Go south from here and you cross one minor road and then nothing but open fell for 10miles or so, same if you head to the north west. Other directions it drops to only a few miles of "nothing".

Any way from looking at the spread of prices across the REC regions it's only about 2p. So that 12p/unit is still expensive, the most expensive Equipower tarrif is 12.11p in the SWALEC area but remember there is no standing charge which adds roughly (depends on your useage) 1p/unit.

Actually it's probably cheaper out in the sticks as far as maintenance is concerned. Digging holes in the ground is slow and expensive, sticking a ladder against a couple of pole is quick and cheap. Of course there are less customers to spread those costs over out in the sticks.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks.

That answers my question. Neighbour say thanks too - rather than use his gas hob he was about to buy an electric hob because his wife insisted they'd save money :-( (She rules)

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

Indeed.

Does anyone here use British Gas Click 5 tariff for leccy only?. If you use a fair old bit (10,000) units a year it seems to be the cheapest deal around.

Maybe too good to be true so anyone?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Well a quick look at the pricing didn't look particulary competative against Scottish Power online paperless monthly direct debit. The standi= ng charge is a fair bit higher even if the unit rate about a penny less. I =

didn't spot any additional discounts for >10,000 units/annum but I didn'= t read all the small print.

Also looked at the fixed until 2011 thingy, 12p/unit but the standing charge is about the same as SP. Not worth the agro of switching particulary as money is tight now, the switch would add about =A370 to o= ur quarterly electricity bill...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's the thing about switching to a fixed deal ..You pay through the nose for doing so in the meantime .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Hi,

I also am fixing up my kitchen and fitting a new hob im not sure if this helps but i got a great deal on a induction hob from

oms.com/ they offer free UK delivery. They also do gas hobs

Hope this helps,

John.

Reply to
John