OT fridge creating water

Hi, new fridge (swan) is creating a puddle on the floor! one month old and it has filled a resovoir thingy and overflowed it had 1.5 liters in it !!

any ideas, the temp is bang on as i have a fridge thermometer and I have checked that against another thermometer Do i need to send it back?

Reply to
Staffbull

Where is this reservoir?

There is usually one on top of the compressor (round the back!) is this the one you are describing?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Hi, yes, thats the one , I imagine its there for condensation, but should dry itself out before it overfills?

Reply to
Staffbull

Yes, the compressor gets warm in operation, this is what evaporates the water.

Is the fridge inside or in an out building (shed, garage etc)?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Hi, its inside in a new warm insulated extension, which doesnt make sense

Reply to
Staffbull

No, this is very odd, the water is getting to where it should, but not evaporating, and presumably the fridge is cooling correctly?

Has the fridge got adequate ventilation?

Maybe the fridge is super high efficiency A++++++++ or somesuch and it just doesn't run enough to evaporate the water!

Possibly the humidity in the air is really high already so the water isn't evaporating?

I assume you have now emptied the reservoir, I would see if it happens again.

Reply to
Sparks

Its in the kitchen, but I have an extractor hood which sucks all the steam off the hob straight out. its also a fairly large kitchen 5m X 4m so not confined. It's an A rated or maybee an A+, I've pulled it further away from the wall to try and get a bit more ventilation, but yep the plan of action is to leave it a week and see whats going on, I really cant be arsed with a fridge if I have to empty it every month !!

Reply to
Staffbull

Just a thought or two.

How well does the drain pipe run to the reservoir? Is it remotely possible that water built up in the pipe, and then all ran into the reservoir with a sudden gush, overwhelming it?

Could the fridge door have been accidentally left slightly ajar for a while, allowing room air to condense on the cooler plates?

Is there a freezer? Is the defrost cycle running as often as it should?

Has an ice tray been left in the freezer? This will soon evaporate (sublime for pedants) and end up on the cooler.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Hi, I wouldnt have thought the drain would be obstructed in any way as its new, and it took 1.5 litres to fill the res !! door being ajar is a possibility down to the kids, will leave it a couple of weeks and see, watch this space :-).....................

Reply to
Staffbull

I wouldn't if I were you. I'd take the damned thing back and claim the seals don't seal. They only have shitty magnets to hold them in situ. If the door is not fitted exactly right, a leak will allow warm outside air to ventilate the fridge and condense in there.

You need to find out if the electricity used by the machine is more than what one aught to expect. Switch everything off at night except the essentials and see how much is used. Then do the same again with the fridge left on too. The difference (all else being equal) is the amount the fridge uses.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer