OT: Four in every five sets of traffic lights should be removed, report claims

Yes?

At many junctions in England.

See above.

No, not really, and far less than the consequential congestion of not having them.

Correct.

Then he's right, according to UK traffic law.

I've rarely seen anyone reverse but they may have to drive further round.

Yup, many people do ... or hang back from pulling away in the opposite direction themselves.

If you saw it in use you would see how it was both simple and efficient.

Further, that's how you are supposed to do it even without the yellow boxes:

"Junctions controlled by traffic lights

Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 36 Rule 176

You MUST NOT move forward over the white line when the red light is showing. Only go forward when the traffic lights are green if there is room for you to clear the junction safely or you are taking up a position to turn right. If the traffic lights are not working, treat the situation as you would an unmarked junction and proceed with great care. "

Then you aren't doing so in England and certainly in any major city.

To encourage people to use public transport as (in theory) they will always get though easily. And it's often also for Taxis and motorcycles.

Yup, (see above).

Not really. See, we are back to your misunderstanding of the concept of any restriction limiting the traffic, no matter how many lanes there are. Take a 3 lane motorway down to one and even if the speed limit is kept the same you have only 1/3 capacity. So, given a 2 mile stretch of high street with a bus lane that eventually goes back into a single lane at the next set of lights or roundabout, the *total throughput* is restricted by that single lane. Therefore the bus lane has no impact on the *total throughput*. (ignoring temporary delays due to people turning right into a side road etc).

Ok. Seems strange you have to limit your use of the roads due to perfectly reasonable (in the man) traffic management mechanisms?

The will always be a sign *before* the lane, all be it often too small / complicated to read 100% at the designated road speed. So most people err on the side of caution and stay out of the bus lane.

Fact mate, as you are about to learn big time. ;-)

CCTV is very much used that way (in England especially).

We have a pedestrianised high street shopping centre at the top of our road with a std urban CCTV camera on a tall pole in the middle of it. My mate has a car garage at the top of the road and another mate left his car in the private car park opposite. The tax ran out on his car and he needed to get it home to work on it (about 500 meters). Because it was only '500m' he contemplated driving it but instead, towed it with another of his cars. He attached magnetic lights on the back and put an 'On Tow' sign in the rear window and towed it home. A few days later he got a fine for driving an untaxed vehicle on the public highway. He contested it as the vehicle was being towed, they looked closer at the CCTV camera footage and they let him off in spite of him not displaying the registration number of the towing vehicle.

No, you can try to, there is no guarantee they will understand or learn anything.

And assume that will teach them and won't cause further 'troubles'. Ok, you might alert / remind / frighten someone who has made a genuine mistake but 'teach' a bad driver, nah.

I don't believe there is any obligation for you to let them out of a side road.

Another lesson for you on that very action. I watched some 'lads' do exactly that in that they pulled out of a petrol station across one lane of traffic, waiting to turn right. Unfortunately they pulled across the front of a police car who pulled in front of them, forcing to reverse back into the petrol station. Later I saw the car parked up and them all walking home.

Now I see why you don't go into any big cities or where there are CCTV systems.

No, of course not, but if it is congested you need it kept clear and it's rarely an issue to leave it clear in any case.

Of course you can because you always stop a long cars width away from the car in front (or have a shrinking car). Unfortunately, the rules go against you on this in that you are supposed to reduce the space between vehicles when driving slowly / in traffic.

Quite, that's because whilst it goes against the rules, it's accepted by mote as a 'go ahead'.

Yup ... except, you (the driver) *should* still proceed with caution and using common sense. Like, if waiting to turn left onto a fast road and someone a reasonable distance away appears to flash you, it might be wise to see if they then indicate left or slow before you actually commit. If they are far enough away you should have time to pull out and get up to speed in any case.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Why?

Cheers. T i m

Reply to
T i m

Makes you feel good.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Luckily, I feel good without doing that.

Cheers, T i m.

Reply to
T i m

Then you'd feel even better.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

no, it just creates dis-ease when you don't smoke. Smoking is much more popular among below average iqers than above. I don't wonder why.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I thought it was pretty naive to start at any time. Who in their right mind would ever think the idea of taking the smoke from burning leaves into their lungs could ever be anything than bad for you?

That's one for sure. I've never been vulnerable to peer pressure because I've never GAF what other people think about what I'm not doing, not wearing or not driving.

Yup and for some it can just be the right opportunity. When I met my current Mrs when she was 40 she had been smoking since she was 16. No one in my immediate family was a smoker (my Dad might have the odd cigar) so she knew not to smoke around any of us. When it looked like we might become an item we had the 'you know none of us smoke ...' chat and she took the pack out of her handbag, tore them in half and hasn't smoked since.

I wouldn't go places where there was likely to be any smoking and thought it should be banned in enclosed public spaces 30 years ago.

I really hope there isn't anyone who thinks 'that' these days.

(I can accept there may be a medicinal use for the likes of cannabis).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I don't understand the need for Brits to keep more complicated cars. I always hear something stupid like "automatics take the fun out of driving". No they don't! They make driving easier, and in fact MORE fun, as you can put your entire concentration on steering and acceleration/braking without having to think what the engine needs to do. The other stupid thing I hear is Automatics aren't as good at changing gear as humans". Yes they are, in fact better. Especially considering the torque converter which gives you gears inbetween gears.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

What? Someone doesn't have a different amount of priority depending how long they've been there.

But I agree with 1. for a different reason, letting them out is pointless as they aren't ready yet. They haven't selected 1st gear, or they haven't assessed the junction yet. They won't spot you flashing and will just sit there like an idiot.

Agreed, pointless to let someone out when they can get out themselves. I often watch them fail to go out behind me though, even when there was enough room for a bus.

Oh dear. You're one of those "people must take their correct place in the queue" morons. Well to hell with that. For 1 year I overtook 40 cars by using a parallel residential access road, then overtook about 200 cars by abusing a one way street. Saved me 40 minutes of queueing every morning on the way to work while the fuckwits took a year to build a bridge and thought that meant they should stick cones all over the existing road instead of just building the new road then joining them up in a few days.

Patience is a waste of time. Time is money.

If you need a gap, find the morons who leave a safety gap.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

+1
Reply to
Bob Martin

I thought that happened to nearly everybody. It happens to me. As far as I know, I always pick it up with my right hand, possibly swap from ear to ear on a long call, but put it down with my right hand again, so I'm not sure how it gets twisted up. I guess it's one of those things that breaks the laws of physics, like placing the cord of a vacuum cleaner on the floor, then discovering it has 5 reef knots in it without touching it.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

ng you can proceed with caution

Brilliant. At the corner of my street there is a traffic light that gets blocked with cars waiting to turn across oncoming traffic. it is an old Victorian terrac e with narrow single lanes so the whole street get choked to silliness from 4 till 6 at night. You can hear people getting it all over with from 6 am but coming that way doesn't seem to clobber so many.

I think that a "no right turn" would be a Must Have for a street that works as an outlet from a town centre to a dual carriageway.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

It makes you feel good, like alcohol does. Why abstain and make your life longer and less fun?

You inhaling smoke for one day is f*ck all like you inhaling it every single day. So passive smoking is not a problem.

Reply to
Mr Macaw