OT Foreign aid to be cut.

Well, at last!

Reply to
harryagain

This should have happened many years ago.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Considering their attitude to us it is stupid giving Argentine aid! So there is a saving that should be made immediately.

Reply to
Broadback

No we will now get even more of those charity ads. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In article , harryagain writes

TOT and unwelcome, save it for the other saddos in the politics groups.

Reply to
fred

Did nobody actually bother to read the article...?

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, but given the OP's track record I didn't think it worth commenting on the fact that it did not report what he thought it did.

Reply to
Robin

I can see you didn't.

Reply to
harryagain

OK, prove me wrong. Quote me the bit which says this country's expenditure on Foreign Aid will be cut.

Reply to
Adrian

Don't hold your breath.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Don't worry, I have no plans to...

Reply to
Adrian

I think Harry means this bit:- "David Cameron has insisted the UK will honour its commitment to spend

0.7% of its national income on foreign aid despite cuts in other budgets."

However, direct aid to India is to be cut, and replaced by "technical assistance". Probably subsidies on equipment to set up more call centres in Bangalore or wherever.....

Reply to
John Williamson

I don't think Harry does. I, otoh, might well do.

I suspect that's the bit Harry read and (quelle surprise) completely misunderstood.

Reply to
Adrian

Which is actually an increase in foreign aid over the 0.56% of national income in 2012. It makes us one of only six countries giving 0.7% or more of national income in foreign aid.

That is the normal progression of foreign aid, the purpose of which has long been to make the recipients self-sufficient enough to not need the aid. It also has the secondary effect of making them into new markets for our goods and services.

Aid is increasingly taking the form of investment in industries where the period of return is too long term for conventional investors. Improving the living conditions in third world countries has also been shown to reduce the threat of terrorism - a rather better way to wage war on terror than the American model.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

or to send a probe/rover to the moon, which seems a littel odd if we (UK) havent; the money for space exploration but we can ahand over money to india who can afford it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

"Honour the commitment to spend" is, of course, subtle different from "spend"...

Good for us.

Reply to
Adrian

Oh, yes - and it's not _our_ target. It's a UN millenium development goal which was promised by every "rich" UN member state...

Adrian

No, the purpose of foreign aid is to give the country some money with which the buy British products, usually weapons.

You think I'm being cynical - you think wrong

tim

Reply to
tim......

Not at all, but we have been moving away from that model for a while.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

We send aid to Nigeria which has a space program.

AlsoPakistan which makes nuclear weapons. And even to China.

harryagain