OT: For spotters of unusual odometer readings...

I find my Turbo 130 difficult to set the speed on - it seems to double with a twitch of the knob.

I've got an auto one. Still can't really see where the join is, though.

I'm using an Argon/CO2 mix.

Can see my face in it.

I can get a perfect weld in the middle of a sheet. Butt welds spatter or burn. I've got anti-spatter spray. Or I end up with half a girder on the join. I'm not happy...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some years ago, my father spotted the remains of his old Avenger (this was a few years ago!) that he'd sold off years before that date, looking very sorry for itself with a note on it saying 'Broken down - gone for assistance'.

He fondly looked it over, then left another note on it replying 'Not surprised that it's broken down, since it's been driven backwards 40,000 miles in the last 5 years!'

Reply to
Paul C Lewis

Eh? Do you mean American dates?

I wasn't being patronising. Not everyone I've shown it to has even worked it out, let alone spotted it straight away. You must just be more observant than most.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

'er indoors had a fairly uncommon 214S with the 8v carb'd engine. Ran like a dream - dead quiet with good grunt. Sadly the bodywork wasn't up to the same standard so was chopped in at 60k miles and about 5 years old (J-plate.)

Reply to
Scott M

I remember looking down in my previous car to see the odo at 11,111 and the time 11:11 - now that was weird!!

Cheers

Dave P

Reply to
David Precious

Is this it?

'll get me coat.

Reply to
MBQ

On 12 Aug 2004 01:25:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (MBQ) strung together this:

Reply to
Lurch

Well, I've never heard of another Rover 1.4 apart from the K and before

1990/91 when the newer shape came in, Rovers (Austin/BL/whoever) of that size were 213's or 216's.

We always used to keep an eye out for other ones, but the 214i & 214Si were both far more common and I think they were both 16v. I think, in the end, we've prolly only ever seen a handful of 214S's but that's hardly surprising since FI was almost universal in new cars in 91/92 so one can only conjecture that Rover had a pile of carb'd engines to shift.

Reply to
Scott M

That makes me wonder if it was actually a K-series. I'm pretty sure it had a 16v badge on the back - mind you back then when he had it I wasn't into cars much. Just to confirm - they didn't do another 16v 1.4 litre engine that wasn't a K-series did they? How many of them had the 8-valvers? Not many, at a guess.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

No offence intended. It was just obvious to me that it was today's date, and yes - if it had been American style the mileage would have been much lower, so a hit would have been much more likely!

Brian

Reply to
BrianW

I found a railway locomotive!

Reply to
Martin

I know! But 05:06 is a little early to wake someone up to tell them something like that

Reply to
Mark W

Oooh I'm getting all nostalgic now. Remind me. What class was it? Black 5? Jube? Pat?

Brian

Reply to
BrianW

Oh dear. I assumed it was a steam loco. Perhaps it was just a class 47 disiesel!

BrianW

hehe. why is it than when an odo gets to 100,000 the driver first thinks.. Yes.. 100K great! then second thought. Shit. the car is worth sod all now!

hehe..

Doesn't matter with my company car.. 107300 so far.. and it was new in May

03.. Skoda 1.9 Fabia Diesel estate. No problems with it so far :)

Robin

Reply to
Robin

My second car is approaching its 117000 service! Should I keep the service history? :-)

Reply to
BrianW

In message , Al Reynolds writes

Yes, you really do need to get out more

(assuming that the vehicle's still serviceable after such a mileage)

Reply to
raden

BMW 520i, that's what you need.

Strangely enough, I have one sitting around looking for a new owner

Reply to
raden

In message , Al Reynolds writes

Believe me, I could

You don't take photos of radio masts too do you ?

Reply to
raden

In message , Mark W writes

Well, they're quite common at this end of the century

I too have been sad and looking out for them

Reply to
raden