OT: For spotters of unusual odometer readings...

Afternoon!

Sorry this is off-topic, but I read and post to these groups fairly regularly, and I thought there were bound to be some other sad folk like me who look out for particular odometer readings (e.g. 654321, 111111, 123456 etc.)

Earlier today, my car was showing this reading:

(gif/53k)

Can you see why it's significant? If not then this clue might help:

(gif/79k)

Sad as it is, I started to wonder whether this would ever happen about three years ago, and it finally has. Now I need to find out if there are any support groups for sad odometer obsessives out there...

Cheers, Al Reynolds

Reply to
Al Reynolds

But, is it as sad as being able to identify a Rover speedo in one?

Oh, and I like palindrome odo readings!

Reply to
Scott M

Not a Rover! But you should therefore be able to work out the make...

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

You have the perfect opportunity coming up.

When the main odo is halfway between 122667 and

122668, zero the trip meter. 789 miles later the odo and trip together will show 123456 789.0

Can you resist the opportunity?

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Well, by the fact that the digits are all over the place, I'd say it's been clocked at some time. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

but not in his car, obviously :)

Bob

Reply to
Bob

LOL

Reply to
Al Reynolds

You're not the only one. Last March I bought a Fiesta van with 95k on the clock, and I remember when it passed the 100k mark (a mate was actually a passenger at the time). I then looked out for 123456, 118118, 121212, and all sort of other patterns. I think I actually missed 118118 happening - shame as I was quite looking forward to it :-) Sad, I know!

The Audi's on just under 122400 miles now, and I hope to look forward to many more weird and wonderful mileages, including 666666.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Not quite that bad but I do remember being really chuffed that I reversed into my parent drive and noticed that I had parked on exactly 100k....

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Oh dear. You really need to get out more!

Reply to
Alan

Some years ago, when filling in a tacho chart at the end of a trip, I found that the reading was the same as my home phone No.

I kept it for several years. Now that is sad.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Ah! Must be an 'onda then. It must be unusual to see a Rover over

100k...[1]
Reply to
Scott M

And is that a bit missing off the first zero?

Reply to
Snowman

Now all you have to do is strap a jet engine on it, drive at 416mph non-stop and you can post the same thing in 24 hours time :)

Reply to
Grant

snipped-for-privacy@ukc.ac.uk (dmc) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@malfoy.ukc.ac.uk:

Bit careless with their money?

MRBitsy

Reply to
MrBitsy

The message from Scott M contains these words:

Better be - my Monty just turned 166666 today.

Reply to
Guy King

Made me think of Pudding Lane, et al.

Reply to
Scott M

And I thought those variable service intervals were good - this is the latest technology - psychic service intervals :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yes, trouble is it won't take the same neglect as say a Mini or Ford OHV type. It's got hardly any water jacket, so lose the coolant for any reason and you've got to stop quickly to avoid damage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've been using that from the start. Cost a fortune. There's something very wrong with the regulator which I've now discovered works in reverse. With it set as the book says, it was on full blast, and 8 quid's worth of gas only lasted a few minutes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)