OT - first razor for teen

Any recomendations for a first electric razor for Grandad to but for his grandson?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn wrote

Ladyshave

It's only bumfluff

Reply to
Jabba

?

.... oh, you said electric.

Reply to
Andrew May

Round head, or block head?

Something highend and pretty damm expensive. You will save him a lifetime of shopping for incrementally disappointing upgrades from the basic models. Well, in my experience.

In a lifetime, how many electric shaver models does a bloke purchase?

Reply to
Adrian C

I inherited one (Philishave) as a teenager when my father died, and hated it. I used his old fashioned safety for years till it got lost somewhere.

Muts get another proper old fashioned safety razor

Running on disposables: cheaper than the replacement blades for all the fancy crap they want to sell you...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, when I started it was like steel wire and the poor old Philips could not cope. I now use Remmington rotary head ones as they seem pretty reliable. Need a lot of clening though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Same here

Sorry but it has to be the Gillette Mach 3. Disposables might work if you shave every day but if I leave it 2 days a disposable just fails to work

Reply to
ARW

Disposables work just fine for me, and I don't even want to know when I last shaved daily... If I leave it until "birds nesting in beard" stage, they still work just fine.

Although, sometimes, I am tempted to just skip straight to the strimmer.

Reply to
Adrian

As many as he needs before he learns how to wet shave.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Plug the strap into the mains.

Reply to
Nightjar

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mike Barnes wrote in news:c4a1ggFrjdcU1 @mid.individual.net:

So no strong views on rotary (Phillips) v Oscilating - (Braun, Remmington)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

No strong views from me certainly. It's nearly 50 years since I used any kind of razor.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I like that my Philips works happily wet or dry. Which seems quite appropriate for the newsgroup. I have been pleasantly surprised how well it copes with two or three days of missed shaves.

Reply to
polygonum

DerbyBorn brought next idea :

When I first started, I used a Phillips twin head battery razor. I've had a few of the triple heads since then, with no real problems. My only experience of the oscillating type ended with a painful experience of the foil perforating, grabbing my beard and ripping skin. The Phillips heads seem much more robust.

My regime is one of both wet and electric razor shaving. I only take a wet shave in the bath or shower, but not always - more often I will have a quick tidy up with a Phillips triple head rechargeable electric razor, usually whilst doing something else.

Wet shaving, I use a triple blade razor which with my mixed regime seem to last for months, with shaving gell - but be aware (as I found out) there are fake replacement blades, which are more blunt than a blunt thing straight out of the packet.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

None. If you have a beard :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well done that man :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Adrian C has brought this to us :

I've gone through around a dozen electric shavers and probably as many wet shavers, starting with a safety razor.

I've never tried a cut throat, but have a mind to, after an hairdresser used one to do my neck a few weeks ago. A bit of research suggests they now come with with either a normal sharpenable blade and ready sharpened throw away blades.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

A visit to Trumper's for a shaving lesson?

(The equivalent for cut throat is £75)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog