OT: Farmers' question Cypermethrin supply

I have need of a supply of Cypermethrin to use in insect control over a large area, any idea is this is likely to be a farming supplies shop item?

I am aware that it has been withdrawn for use as sheepdip but it is still on the lists for insect control. I'm looking to get 10% for dilution rather than be ripped off for widely available pre diluted product.

Reply to
fred

This is a Neurtoxin that is HIGHLY toxic to fish & bees. It is only used AFAIK in small local application products ... green fly & ant killer.

To use on Wide arae would be too hazardous to Bees & insects.

It is also not very good to humans ... have you had all the children you want as it known to harm reproductive systems. If you have neighbours ... Use of Poisons legislation means you would probably have to issue them with a warning that you are going to use this.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Have a dig in here...

man for local beekeepers must be notified when insecticides harmful to bees are in use for agricultural crops.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thank you for your concern both for me and for the bees.

I'm interested to hear where you got your information from, COSHH documentation for the product both at pre diluted and working strengths make no reference to neurological toxicity and at working strength (0.1%) I could paraphrase the user precautions as, hmmn, would be best if you didn't drink a gallon of this.

Are you mixing it up with something else?

I am aware of the danger to aquatic and valued insect life, the intended usage does not risk exposure to either.

Anyway, back to the original question, where to get at non rip-off prices of pre-diluted product.

Reply to
fred

In message , fred writes

I would purchase it through my buying group who would source from their favoured supplier.

There are regulations concerning the safe transport of such chemicals (not in a tractor cab e.g..). I am rather out of date but a suitable container in the boot of your car might do.

Try your nearest agricultural merchant and ask for advice if they can't supply you. Normally chemicals are delivered direct to farm.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In article , Tim Lamb writes

Thanks, I will gen up some more and approach my local agric merchant as you suggest.

Reply to
fred

If there's the slightest chance of honey bees being affected by spray or drift please contact your local BBKA spray liaison contact:

They will warn any nearby beekeepers, who can then can close up their hives the day you spray.

Reply to
Reentrant

what bees? haven't see any honey bees this year at all...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thank you, as posted in a follow up, there is no such risk.

Reply to
fred

So only another 20 replies needed saying the same thing to make that point:-).

BTW did you know that you cannot spray the stuff near bees?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

A swarm arrived in our garden as I lit the BBQ, two weekends ago. We abandoned any thoughts of eating outside, but the kids enjoyed watching the local bee keepers retrieving the swarm later in the afternoon/evening.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

:-)

Reply to