[OT] Face value of stamps and the costs of posting

A first class stamp that gets the letter to its destination the next day?

Or this total con:

Dom Robinson

Ooh, hello Helen, fancy seeing you in here. I can't quite imagine that you're being a miscreant, so I guess you're either diy-ing or trainspotting. [darfc]

Anyway, I quite agree about the cluefile; half the people that you see on Usenet these days wouldn't know a clue if it hit them with a clue-by-four or bit them on the bum with steel-tipped cluefangs while yodelling "When I'm clueing yoo, oo-hoo-hoo, oo-hoo-hoo".

Reply to
Sn!pe

In my experience Royal Mail is very efficient. More efficient than most organisations and private individuals.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In most things - shame their postmen are not so efficient though ! Amazing how much mail goes missing !

Reply to
Anita

Yes. With age comes wisdom. Not many are as wise as I am.

Most people do!

Do you know who composed the music?

Without looking!

I do

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm beginning to think I'm in an outbuilding rather than uk.diy.

Reply to
<me9

How much mail goes missing?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Don't worry, Brian; I'm only in with you lot by accident; "ow me thumb stylee", innit.

Reply to
Sn!pe

Erm, no. I don't even remember from having looked earlier.

Smugness is not nice Mary so I am not going to give you a gold star on this occasion.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I aologise, you're right.

Not that I was looking for a gold star. But Britten is one of my four favourite composers and in truth not many people do know who composed the music for Night Mail.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You can have half a housepoint :-)

It's a very interesting film too.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

snipped-for-privacy@spambin.fsnet.co.uk (Sn!pe)typed

I'm d-i-y-ing.

I have trainspotted in the past and miscreated AAW. Never been a silversurfer (yet)

Didn't Linz say there were only 200 people in Usenet?

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Ooh yes, we did once have a monochrome telly, that was the last time I saw it.

All that steam - like that coming from some reading this"! Good job we stopped cross-posting ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

As many as that? Now I *am* surprised!

Reply to
David Jackson

The message from contains these words:

Reply to
Guy King

Helen Deborah Vecht snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk wrote in :

That's because you can't force clue into the unwilling with a file. You need a chisel and a very large hammer for that.

Reply to
Eric Jarvis

Less than 1% AFAIK.

And IME, 99% of that 1% is the fault of the sender.

Reply to
Neil Monk

Aren't there some areas where something along the lines of both e.g. XX1 0XX and XX10 0XX are possible giving more opportunity for the OCR machines (and then the sorter using the Mk1 eyeball) to get confused if the gap isn't blatant ?

Reply to
Charles Ellson

There are four people on Usenet: you, me, him over there, and Clive D.W. Feather.

Reply to
Show Me On The Badger Where Th

If they're different postcodes then it's possibly not her fault as the delivery bods don't usually make up the sorted bundles unless you're somewhere rural. If they've started using OCR to read the adddresses of uncoded mail then the quality of the numerals might be to blame.

Reply to
Charles Ellson