[OT] Face value of stamps and the costs of posting

No, a GCSE IT student might! Mathemeticians like elgegance and the ability to represent any amount with just three stamps is elegant. With your scheme

63p would require six stamps (1,2,4,8,16,32), rather than three (1,20,42).
Reply to
Bob Mannix

Use "Smartstamp" then. You print your own stamps (well a 2D barcode) on your computer. Costs =A35 per month plus postage costs IIRC.

Not quite sure of the relevance of this thread to uk.railway though

Reply to
C!

I know what you mean. Over 100 posts so far. I'm getting this crap in uk.d-i-y - where are *you* reading it? I wonder where the much reviled "Will", the OP posts. Not here, thank God.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

More likely someone who thinks computers are infallible would use a binary system. The rest of us, well...

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

A binary system would be silly. You'd have to have stamps with a face value of 0p and 1p.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 20:37:01 GMT, Tom Burton wrote in , seen in uk.railway:

Are you thinking of Smartstamp?

It works well, and if you're bored you can design pretty logos to use, but you don't get it free: you have to pay for the privilege of having an account...

Reply to
Ross

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 21:58:12 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in , seen in uk.railway:

Helvetica or similar, I think, although pretty much every business I deal with seems to use Times New Roman or similar.

They also recommend leaving two spaces rather than one between the two parts of the postcode, but how many people (apart from me!) do that?

Reply to
Ross

I've got a whole load of 0p stamps here if you want them. I'll sell all of them to you for the low price of only 25p.

Robin

Reply to
R.C. Payne

OH NO NOT ANOTHER ONE!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Now you're being silly. You know what I meant.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

You're right.

My irrationality was deciding not to buy any more shoes in case I was run over the day after ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You:

a) are not a Tyke, apparently

b) have never been poor

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Most people pay us by cheque, big companies by BACS.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You're contributing to it :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'll take your word for it, I wonder why they don't use those typefaces on their own correspondence ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Only if it's funny."

Reply to
JAF

It's still only one space, just a bit bigger.

Reply to
JAF

It's what you get for chucking out all those nice, roomy class 325s and trying to cram your post into farty little lorries and aircraft. [To drag this sort of on topic for one of the groups...]

Cheers

mark-r

Reply to
Mark Robinson

"Mary Fisher" typed

ISTR they use Courier quite a bit.

I use Times NR cos I like it, even if it's not approved.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht