[OT] Face value of stamps and the costs of posting

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 20:54:30 GMT, "Mike Redrobe" managed to type:

Yup .... buyer pays by PayPal .....

Seller uses SmartStamp to save tedious Post Office visits and just drops stuff in the box.

No online trackable method.

Goods arrive.

Buyer claims 'no receipt'.

PayPal find in buyer's favour.

Buyer has goods and gets a refund as well.

Whoooooppeeeee! Free Christmas thanks to PayPal.

Reply to
Gran

Yeah, but when every week could be your last it's a painful decision buying a fortnight's worth of stamps.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

OK, some backward areas may still use stamps. But not for long. They've brought in a system where all POs are individually printed...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, they are still valid - provided they are marked as 1st and not

30p or whatever it is this week.

David

Reply to
compuserf

IIRC you're looking at the wrong bit on the 1st class stamp. Your "broad band" is the space between the two bands, more easily seen if you compare a strip of 1st class with a strip of 2nd class where the former has a dull band down each side (or straddling two adjacent stamps IYSWIM) and the latter has the dull band down the middle.

Reply to
Charles Ellson

That'll be the lines in the queens face then?

By the way has anyone found the hitch hiker on a ten pence piece?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

"Mary Fisher" typed

I must have read and remembered it some time ago. (Sorry, I remember facts better than sources.)

Ooooh look what I found from the Royal Mail's website!

ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/rm/41721_RM_ClearAddCamp.pdf

Preferred fonts are on page 15 of this document and TNR does not appear!

I also use Times New Roman.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Oh FFS, as if that's what's happening now and as if this isn'[t simply a way to screw the customer over.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

They certainly seem to.

Reply to
Guy King

But you can use stamps for Royal Mail Standard Parcels...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Then perhaps you should sell something, otherwise you might wait a whole lifetime without someone sending you one.

;-)

Reply to
Tony Polson

That's why I wrote:

"Finally, there are stamps that are intended for use with the issuing of Postal Orders, although that application has been replaced in the last few weeks by the new printed Postal Order"

Those words were in my posting that you replied to. Didn't you think to read it before replying?

Reply to
Tony Polson

Yes, they do.

Reply to
Tony Polson

It discourages envelope sizes which often get thrown out by the machinery and require manual handling or don't bundle up easily.

Reply to
Charles Ellson

In message , Helen Deborah Vecht writes

Of course, soon after "1st" and "2nd" stamps were introduced, one of the first rate changes involved actually reducing the cost of one of the services by a penny!

Reply to
Arwel Parry

Hey, big spender! :-)

Reply to
Spider

Ah, simple paypal non-receipt scam then - talking about Christmas offers threw me.

One flaw:

No seller is going to send a £100+ parcel via an untracked uninsured service - even at Christmas - are they ?

Reply to
Mike Redrobe

Has there ever been a thread as important and vital as this? I meantersay, the price of a postage stamp, ffs.

Reply to
JAF

A mathematician would choose 1, 2, 4, 8, ... pence! If a stamp's value could be negated, say by sticking it on the back of the envelope instead of the front, then 1, 3, 9, 27, ... pence would be logical!

Reply to
Frederick Williams

In message , at 20:15:40 on Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Mary Pegg remarked:

It's a slippery slope away from the "one size fits all" Penny Post.

Why should my letters to people living in the same town subsidise everyone else's that are going to the other end of the country?

Reply to
Roland Perry