[OT] Face value of stamps and the costs of posting

It's amazing what bothers some!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I found that pulling the green plug from a biro and sticking it in a black biro would stop her walking off with it.

Reply to
Guy King

Could you scare her by doing the reverse

Reply to
Richard Conway

Wotchit, the net nanny will see you ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 08:36:36 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote the following to uk.misc:

Speaking of which, what *did* happen to misc's other Linz? The previous incumbent was a Scottish bloke.

mh.

Reply to
Marcus Houlden

Only two days late; I bet you're a silver-surfer, ain'tcha, hmmm?

Reply to
Sn!pe

I went through a (blessedly brief) phase of using 'peacock blue' ink in my Osmiroid at school. I'm not sure just exactly what I was rebelling against that called for such extreme measures, unless it was homew*rk in general.

Reply to
Sn!pe

The message from Richard Conway contains these words:

Never tried. Nice woman, with sufficient sense of humour to spend the afternoon laughing after I backed a trailer into the workshop rollershutter.

Reply to
Guy King

And Charles Ellson was like:

Ah yes, that could be it. Thank you.

Reply to
Patrick Hardlentil

So. That's you, me, Linz and Clive D.W. Feather.

Reply to
Show Me On The Badger Where Th

In message , Show Me On The Badger Where The Man Touched You writes

I'm here too, but just as a test of Turing's proposition, not sure if that counts.

Reply to
bof

Not her trailer, I suppose, nor her rollershutter!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Whoever does the delivery usually receives pre-sorted bundles which in final handling should only require examination of the street number (and in some cases a further subdivision of that element). If they had to examine the full address in case someone or something else has failed to provide or translate the correct information then this would greatly increase the time needed to handle the mail which would be to the general detriment of most recipients.

Reply to
Charles Ellson

The trick is to use your felt tip pen to cover the machine coding marks first otherwise the sorting machinery is liable to re-read any coding marks which relate to your address and simply send it back round the same route through the system. My mother had the same envelope come back to her four times before I managed to explain to her that machines won't pay any attention to "Not known at this address" if they can still read the original incorrect information.

Reply to
Charles Ellson

We've moved on from there. You can't do 33p or 36p though - so there!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Postal orders do not work like that anymore

Reply to
Peter King

Why don't you use smart stamp, or have a franking machine?

If you don't send enough post to make either of thse worth while then a 'large stock of stamps' is not a significant investment.

The post office will deliver stamps to your door so there is no need to use 'time and petrol'

Reply to
Peter King

That list doesn't include 1st and 2nd class stamps. You can do

33p = 1st class (32) + 1p 36p = 1st class (32) + 2p + 2p.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Masson

Because the original statement was that you could do any number with THREE stamps...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I used a couple a few years back. The cashpoint machines were out of order in the town we were staying and I had a chequebook with me. The PO would charge us £3.00 for cashing a cheque or alternatively I could buy a postal order and then cash that for a lot less "commission".

Reply to
Fred