[OT] Face value of stamps and the costs of posting

I keep 1st, 2nd, 5p, and 1p. Those suit my needs pretty well - mainly letters, and some small packets up to about 200g.

With a spreadsheet it's easy to construct a table showing the values of combinations of 1st and 2nd, from which I pick a convenient value at or just below the target. Then I make up any difference with the 1p and 5p stamps. Sometimes when feeling lazy I pick the next higher value and waste a penny or two.

First Second 0 1 2 3 4 5 6

0 0.00 0.32 0.64 0.96 1.28 1.60 1.92 1 0.23 0.55 0.87 1.19 1.51 1.83 2.15 2 0.46 0.78 1.10 1.42 1.74 2.06 2.38 3 0.69 1.01 1.33 1.65 1.97 2.29 2.61 4 0.92 1.24 1.56 1.88 2.20 2.52 2.84 5 1.15 1.47 1.79 2.11 2.43 2.75 3.07 6 1.38 1.70 2.02 2.34 2.66 2.98 3.30

(I'm amazed at how well that copied from Excel. One paste operation and absolutely no editing required.)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

They correspond to rates for air mail letters

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The best thing about keeping a list of sellers who use Smartstamp is when you know Christmas is going to be free this year thanks to Paypal. Make sure to do some small £10-£20 orders with memorable feedback before putting in for the Free £100+ mega order.

Reply to
Joseph

We're not sent many but they are still around.

My mother used to send me cash but then started using postal orders because they were more secure. But she never even put my name on them ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh - I assumed he meant postal orders!

We have several post offices around, I used to walk to them before the arthritis got bad :-( now i send spouse, he enjoys any excuse to get on his scooter.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's not actually all that difficult using your brain :-)

Yes, but if you use a 2nd class stampo as part of a combination the whole thing can be treated as second class :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks, but it's not worthwhile for us.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't understand that ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Using the brain method, you don't need to construct a table. However, any table that you do construct is more likely to be correct with a spreadsheet, and it's certainly easier to update when the rates change.

Please explain.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I don't either, but it sounds a teensy-weensy bit on the less than impeccably honest side.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In uk.railway Mary Fisher wrote: [Postal Orders]

I had reason to apply to the Egyptian Embassy for a visa about two years ago. For some reason the only currency they accepted was Postal Orders. I think it was 18 pounds so I sent two nine-pound orders. All bone fide, but for sone reason it seemed "as bent as a nine bob note".

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Many years ago, someone working at Royal Mail won a substantial prize for working out an optimised series of values that allowed the least number of stamps to be used across the board. Today's stamps follow the same principles that were established then.

You have made the error of looking only at the rates for first and second class inland postage. The stamp values also cover standard rates for overseas postage, plus Parcelforce.

In addition, there are other stamps that are not used singly, but in combination with other stamps. Finally, there are stamps that are intended for use with the issuing of Postal Orders, although that application has been replaced in the last few weeks by the new printed Postal Order. There used to be other transactions that needed stamps of specific value(s) but I cannot recall what they were.

The number and values of stamps is less important than it used to be because almost all postage is now applied at Post Office counters using custom printed postage labels. Stamps are used almost entirely by individuals at home and by businesses that are so small they cannot justify owning a postal franking machine. Even then, they can buy postage online and print out their own stamps.

Stocks of stamps carried in Post Office branches are therefore very much lower than before.

Tony

(former Post Office proprietor)

Reply to
Tony Polson

I regularly use Postal Orders. I bought three last week alone.

There is a new system, where the Post Office counter staff insert a pre-printed postal order into the label printer and the Postal Order gets printed with the payee's name, the amount - and the crossing if required. No stamps required!

Reply to
Tony Polson

On the contrary, at least some of the higher values are just right for overseas mail.

Reply to
Tony Polson

1 2 5 10 20 50 =A31 - stock values to make up other amounts 9p - 2nd to 1st class supplement rest - first and sometimes second weight steps for different classes of mail, both inland and overseas, airmail and surface.

You can no longer stick stamps on postal orders BTW - they are now printed on demand for the exact amount you want up to =A3250.

Reply to
dtren

DERWENT Re: [OT] Face value of stamps and the costs of posting Tue, 06 Jun 2006 13:35:31 +0100, Andy Burns

Mostly for buying things that arrive in brown envelopes.

PRAR

Reply to
PRAR

You got an Eguptian visa for £18?

I had to pay $50 for a WAIVER US visa :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I like that idea but I haven't received any.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh come on! Tables don't need to be constructed when you add up the values of stamps ...

Apparently there's a something on the stamps - I can't remember the words but some smarty pants here will insert them. Photo something perhaps ... I can't be bothered raking through the remaining grey cells :-)

If there are any stamps which display this 'code' on an envelope or packet it will make the whole sum of the stamps, even if all the others are coded as 1st class, be shunted into the 2nd class system.

At least, that's what I was told by Royal Mail.

Who am I to argue?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher