OT: eye exam or examination?

Vision express now uses the term "eye exam" instead of "eye examination"...which is correct?

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Irrelevant.

I wouldn't trust them to do either

Reply to
Andy Hall

Exam is the foreshortened version of the word examination.

Reply to
Lino expert

Should have gone to Specsavers? ;o)

*Replies using correct button this time* Apologies!
Reply to
Lino expert

In message , Mr Sandman wrote

Shorter words for those who have trouble seeing?

Reply to
Alan

uk.rec.english is over there........>

Reply to
Vass

Could be....but I can't see it myself.

Reply to
Lino expert

Eye test.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'd say examination.

Exam usually means a written test to evaluate a students knowledge. Examination means to look closely. The definitions are however elastic enough for Vision Express to claim they are using the word correctly.

mark

Reply to
Mark

Err, exam is simply short for examination. But colloquial use commonly means as above.

Medical types usually prefer the longest possible words...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's an americanism. A bit like math for maths. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In this case they are right. Why shorten mathematics to maths? The plural is irrelevant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The one that I find strange is the brand name "speedo" for swimming trunks, as in "where's my speedo ?" Just sounds like it should be a plural, since trunks or bathers etc is usually plural. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

It's a bit like 'trousers'. Have you ever seen one trouser?

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

IIRC, a "trouser" was originally a long loose legging put over your pants (American/Scouse meaning i.e. not under-pants), and there was indeed 2 of them, but I guess they still always came in pairs ! So you could say "has anyone seen my other trouser ?" Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson