OT: EXCEL file won't print in Landscape

I have an EXCEL file that insists on only printing graphs in portrait mode, which means they occupy only the top half of an A4 page and are half the size that they could be. Other EXCEL files will print in Landscape mode OK. I've done all the usual things that I can think of to correct this: set the printer to print in Landscape; checked the print preview status and set the 'Page Setup' for the individual graph to Landscape, even loaded and had two EXCEL files open at the same time and printed a Landscape graph from one before attempting to print another graph from the miscreant file, but all to no avail. In other respects, read/write/add data/etc the file behaves normally, and I see nothing unusual in the File Properties. Something in the file is locked into Portrait mode and doesn't want to be shifted. Any suggestions as to how to unlock it?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

If its an HP printer then depending on your OS then this may be relevant

It seems a lot can depend even on the individual printer model, and the OS.

And this may possibly apply to printers other than HP.

Failing all else I'd be tempted to break the workbook or whatever they're called into chunks, set the print options each time and print off each one individually.

michael adams

michael adams

I would try and copy/paste in to a new workbook or at least the offending page and see what happens.

Reply to
ss

No real clues I'm afraid, but faced with this I might try printing to PDF to see how that behaved.

Another approach could be to create a new file and copy over the content from the troublesome one.

Do all sheets of the problem file print in portrait?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Copy and past it into a new document.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I was going to suggest the same thing. Save the sheet containing the graph as a PDF file, and see whether it then displays properly. That will at least show whether it is an Excel or a printer problem - although doing a print preview in Excel should also give an indication of that.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've now (at last and many sheets of paper later) tracked it down. Under 'page layout' tab on the printer set-up window for those graphs I found that a box was set to multi-page printing, which was not over-ridden by the Landscape setting in 'Advanced Properties' tab. Unchecking that box cleared it and I can now print full page landscape.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

If it's not a very big file that you can display all of on the monitor(s) at the same time, do that, press print screen, then import clipboard to a graphics program ('New from clipboard', or whatever) and print from there.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If you have to go to that end of the scale to get a work around, try using Copy as a picture (might need you to press Shift before doing the Copy). That grabs the image as a drawn image rather than a bitmap.

Reply to
polygonum