OT: Euro standards

No it's not the "cloverleaf" connector, it's more like the "figure-8" shaver connector, but with 3 pins, the L/N are together and the E is keyed to make incorrect insertion impossible, the whole connector is angled at 180 degrees to the cable, I've only seen these on certain Dells.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Most of them have that. It's for voltage and charge sensing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not true.

The Targus ones work as long as you pick one with enough oomph

Reply to
Andy Hall

OK, but in practice, there are very few of these around.

Either the plugs have the hole to accept the projecting earth pin, or they are two pin and it's irrelevant.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think the grounding would give better surge protection in /some/ circumstances.

Also the grounding would give better protection against mains borne interference as well as stopping it the other way.

I personally would be happy to use it without grounding it, BUT if connecting it to a phone line in any way would use a 'surge cube' that has both mains and telephone protection. This is good practice anyway.

cheers, Pete.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

How about a BC and an ES lampholder adapter, with a flying lead and a croc clip to a waterpipe for the earth?

Probably equally compliant anywhere in Europe?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Scandinavia was a part of Europe last I looked, and routinely doesn't. Pretty much everything runs off CEE 7/16 (Europlug 2.5 A/250 V unearthed). You can find Schuko sockets (sometimes) in bathrooms for the washing machine and (usually) in kitchens. Sometimes, in flats, you'll find the only Schuko socket in the entire place is on the front panel of the cooker. And this isn't in particular old places either - I have friends in a flat built in the mid-eighties, which has two Schuko sockets in a bathroom, and (I think) three in the kitchen, integrated into the under-cupboard lighting units (a bit like shaver sockets) - and that's it. You can plug Schuko and CEE 7/7 plugs into the wall sockets - but they have no earth. They provide more than 2.5 A, as far as I can tell, as the vacuum cleaner doesn't pop a fuse when it is used.

Nope. It ships with a 'three prong wall plug' in the US. See:

PSUs ship with a 'two prong wall plug', so the difference is there for a reason.

one example - there are others.

Nope again. I'm familiar with IEC C5 connectors. The picture here:

the US cable, and carefully photographed so it is difficult to see, but the connectors are in a line. It looks a bit like o-Oo. It's not the 'cloverleaf' of the IEC C5.

Sorry to be so negative. I've just broken the (fake, plastic) earthing pin off a plug-in 'wall-wart' transformer by dropping it accidentally, and now I can't plug the darn thing in because the socket shutters don't move aside. Galling.

Sid.

Reply to
unopened

Well, I suggest it /is/ true in some cases, the lead of my PSU got run-over by the office chair once too often and the laptop refused to take power from it even though power was available, it was just the data pin that was intermittent.

The laptop can tell if it's a 65W or 90W charger and will scale CPU speed and battery charge rate accordingly, mine is obviously programmed to be stroppy rather than pessimistic if it can't recognise the type of PSU, different BIOS versions could change this behviour, the machine also refuses to power-up if the 65W power PSU is connected via a docking port.

PS. This is the 3-pin connector in question

Andy Burns

question

done on finding a *good* picture.

And yes, the refusal to power up the docking station with the 65W PSU was incredibly frustrating.

Cheers,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

Heh, had that installing some ericsson PC-XT clones with thinwire ethernet and got a good tingle while connecting the T-piece, their parent company was Swedish and they had self-imported them rather than pay UK prices and plugged them in with the 2-pin IEC leads via a continental 4-way strip.

power cords with approval stamps from the major countries.

I've seen a few of the the tiny 13A unfused plugs too.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The OP meant CEE 7/7.

Cheers,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

Different issue. Yes, you're right that the signalling with the small pin is required. The Targus supplies have this if you choose the correct adaptor module for the PC in use.

Frankly the Dell supplies are crap. I have had several where cord anchoring on the DC side is poor and the cord just pulls out after a few months use. I had two warranty replacements and two outside warranty on the basis of lack of fitness for purpose.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah, you seemed to be suggesting it was only the amount of oomph, no the number of pins that made the difference.

The standard ones run pretty hot, and the 3-pin mains connector is not particularly good at resisting strain, one of mine is now angled at about 160 degrees.

The auto/air one runs much cooler than the standard 65W version,

Reply to
Andy Burns

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@mail.com saying something like:

Get a two-way adapter and leave the wall-wart plugged into that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

This is uk.d-i-y! Fix it...empty cases are readily available.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No. As you pointed out, I don't think that it would work without the little pin.

In the end, I Tyrapped the leads to the body of the charger.

Although there's another problem there. Aircraft seat power is insufficient for many modern laptops.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If you start with a fully charged battery (and preferably a 2nd battery in the CD bay) surely having a small amount of recharging is better than none?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I like it. I did think about going round with an earth rod and a sledgehammer. :-)

Has anyone else notice the number of ES lampholders increasing in the UK? I'm not convinced this is a Good Thing, except for the bottom line of lamp manufacturers.

Cheers,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

Some aircraft power outlets close down if they detect too great a load....

Reply to
Andy Hall

What's wrong with them?

I think that the number of different fittings ought to be kept to a minimum, but I've heard the claim that ES fittings are technically superior to bayonets.

Reply to
Adam Funk