OT Energy comparison sites

I checked yesterday if I could get a better deal for gas/electricity inputting my actual consumption for the previous 12 months as the reference.

Uswitch said a saving of £130 but on checking the tariffs for the potential new supplier they were comparable with what I'm currently paying. So how did Uswitch work out the savings? i) They assumed that my current contract runs for another 9 months and I wouldn't change for that time (although I can change at any time) ii) They then assumed that I would go to my current suppliers more expensive 'standard rate' for another 3 months. iii) They added the two figures together to get the spend for the next

12 months and then compared it with a 12 month contract starting now with another supplier. If I change immediately to the new supplier the saving are minimal, around a single figure GBP per annum.

Moneysupermarket.com said a saving of £53. The saving seems to be based on a discount payable if I stay with them for 12 months. The standing charges and gas and electricity rates without this discount are much higher than I'm currently paying. If changing before then there is first a penalty of £60 (dual fuel) and then the probable loss of the £180 discount - a penalty equivalent to £120 per fuel!

Reply to
alan_m

Have a look at Martin Lewis's Cheap Energy Club at

Once your details are in they keep checking for a better deal and email you when they find one.

When they've found one I decide to go for I usually go through TopCashBack

referral link) to improve the deal even further.

Which says I can save a massive total of £8 per annum!

Reply to
alan_m

In article , alan_m writes

Yes they compare to the rate you would be on when your current contract expires and you go on to your suppliers standard rates. It's buried in the small print somewhere.

That's about par for the course.

Reply to
bert

So maybe you are currently on a good deal.

Reply to
bert

Given that changing supplier is not a zero-sum game *and* given the fact that the previous two times I have changed supplier the tariffs went up shortly after - wiping out any putative saving I was making - I am unconvinced by the benefits *to me* of continually changing supplier.

However, a lively churning market should keep supplier on their toes.

Reply to
Jethro_uk