OT: Energy bills

Earlier this year I changed the way I pay my gas and elec bills to monthly direct debit (to take advantage of the annual discount). Prior to this, I would just pay the bills as they came in every quarter. Since changing to DD (Feb I think), I do not get a quarterly bill. I would have thought I would still get a quarterly bill with my usage on?

Reply to
Slider

It might be quicker to phone your supplier, eh?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

You didn't switch to paperless billing at the same time did you?

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, I rang them during my lunch hour. When you pay a fixed amount per month by direct debit, you only get a bill once every six months (or at least that's what my energy provider do)

Reply to
Slider

expect those bills to get higher and higher then, common problem with DD.

I still cant see a reason to give companies free access to my bank account. I've heard the sales talk but none of it really adds up imho.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Southern Electric were fine and kept them on track and also rebated excesses.

I've just moved my electricity to BG and am now worried by CS complaints of enormous and unjustified inreases in DDs and when one person complained, they apparently said ' WE set the amouint '

I know within a penny or two what my monthly DD should be and if they push it up by more than a £1 or two, I'll be gone because as you say, we're not here to increase BG's savings account.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Your meter must be read at least once a year. Any changes to the DD will depend on average readings. It has nothing to do with cheating you.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It depends on your definition of cheated. Over periods in excess of a year you will not lose actual cash (ie not "cheated"). As with myself they are guilty of sharp practice, for example setting DD levels to suit winter usage so you are always in credit (ie they get the benefit of your money for a while - although you get it back eventually). They make estimated readings way over and then demand cash payments (£235 in my case). We are profligate non-green users and their estimate was 50% higher than we were actually using in winter, which no-one can excuse (if we were extremely frugal, I could understand an over-estimate of that nature).

I rang them (SE) with the correct reading and told them they couldn't have their cash and that was that - a more nervous person may have paid the demand. With a DD, be reasonable and set a figure which will cover the year (or a little over but not much) and tell them that's what it should be and will be or you'll go elsewhere. Clearly trying to set your payments at summer levels and reap the benefit from them in the winter isn't going to fly though.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I admire your simple faith in the utilities, however I fear it is misplaced. Also I prefer to adjust the DD as I go along, rather than waiting to find out I owe £100 or so, which make moving far more inconvenient. (Yes I appreciate there will usually be a seasonal discrepency ;-) )

Reply to
Andy Cap

Not always. If they make an estimted reading and you don't like it you can send in your own or get them to come when you'll be in.

That's the way to do it - not accuse anyone of cheating, which it isn't.

Of course not. That WOULD be cheating.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

LOL! You don't know me :-)

So what's your complaint?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

All I said was, "I've just moved my electricity to BG and am now worried by CS complaints of enormous and unjustified inreases in DDs....."

See

I don't know you but I do know you appear to be entertained by looking for an argument. Takes all sorts I guess !

Reply to
Andy Cap

That's why I use a rolling 12 months !

Reply to
Andy Cap

I was involved in this about six years ago. There is also a danger in paying too little. A salesman will visit, and will ask what your monthly payments are. He will then tell you that if you sign with him, he will reduce your payments by 25%. "Great", you think.

What he doesn't say is that his gas/electricity is only 10% cheaper than your present supplier, so after a year, when the meter reading is done, you're several hundred quid in the red.

If you can't pay what you owe in a lump, you'll not be allowed to switch supplier, and your payments for year two will be substantially higher than year one.

There are good deals, but the bottom line is you must know how much you use, and the price per unit.

John Armstrong

Reply to
John J Armstrong