OT Electricity rates per unit?

Exc. VAT

They seem now to show it as a per day allowance, 1.37 kWh per day, but in reality it seems to charged quarterly seeing as they have no way of knowing the consumption on any individual day

Reply to
chris French

34:45 +0000, chris French wrote:

Wow. 25 p!!!! That's around 47 cents Can. per unit!

Here in an eastern Canadian province, where the rates are somewhat higher than in the central provinces of Canada because of smaller populations and lower population density, almost all our electricity, except for a thermal plant which is on during peak winter heating and for stand-by in case of a winter storm bring down power transmission lines, is generated by hydro several hundred miles away.

The climate is somewhat colder and windier than say northern Scotland. The average cost per kilowatt hour for this typical all electric (well we do have an occasionally used old wood stove in basement) 4 bedroom single storey bungalow is just over ten (10) Can. cents. That includes a monthly per account charge of around $15 (roughly 7.5 pounds) and

13% sales tax on the overall amount. We are on a monthly budget (same payment from July to July) plan that averages $241 Can. (Currently around 130 UK pounds) per month. These days there is a single senior occupant (me), home all day.

That's an approx annual average of 80 kilowatt hours per day (for total house energy. Lights heating, hot water, TV and computer usage etc.). Until now we have been running about 40 to 50 kwh. per day, which includes two computers running continuously.

At the moment going into the winter we are paid up about one month ahead of actual usage. Before end of winter we expect our budget plan to be in arrears but the electric utility will carry that until July and if necessary our next year's budget plan will increase to allow for increased usage and any payment shortage from this years estimate. In mean time service is excellent, the line crews are top rate and obliging, billing errors virtually never, the electric utility is easy to contact (they recently changed over billing to a relative who has just bought a house in less than one day, all contact being over the phone with mail confirmation after) and are knowledgeable and helpful. And by paying the budgeted amount automatically each month we continue to obtain the 1.5% discount the utility provides for on-time payment.

Judging by electricity rates and service complaints elsewhere it appears we are well served? There is no piped in gas here (although we produce it out on the Grand Banks off Newfoundland) and delivered propane and oil are now very costly.

BTW sometime ago I read about complaints that electricity rates in Hawaii (mid Pacific) were too high at 22 cents per unit!

Reply to
terry

So it's 500units/year, 125/qtr. I do wish there were legally enforceable= standards on how tarrif information was presented. So if you want to mak= e a comparision you didn't have to jump through hoops to "standardise" the= information.

I suspect the 900 in the message "Vortex3" is also per annum, but still = a qtrly standing charge of (900/4) * (25-10.5) =3D =A332.62 is somewhat hi= gher than my "upfront" one of (12.9 * 90) =3D =A311.61 and the unit cost is h= igher.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think the headline primary electricity figure gives the wrong impression.

My 3 bed-semi detatched house uses an average 50KW/day, combined electricity/gas, at an average unit cost of 11.1 Canadian cents or 6p. Gas is cheaper / unit that electricity. Mine avaerages presently 11.65p for electricity, 3.77p for gas.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

That 25p includes about 14p of standing charge. People complained about having to pay a daily standing charge on top of the unit cost, so the utility companies created "no standing charge" tarrifs but charge more for the first X units per quarter on those tarrifs. Strangely (not)the amount of extra paid for these Tier 1 units these normally equals within a penny or so the normal standing charge.

I guess if you are a low user (less than 2 units/day) it might just make sense but otherwise there is no difference. But if you are using that little power you'd be better of with EBICO anyway which have a true no standing charge tarrif, just a fixed amount per unit. The cost is above the cheapest but still only about 1/2 that of the Tier 1 rates.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Doh!

Reply to
Mike

I've just received a replyto my message - delay, my fault - and they are simply going to transfer me to Click 6, so it's obviously worth keeping an eye on the latest prices. I'm also submitting my meter reading on the 30th of each month, so they can't justify a silly DD increase, as some customers have recently experienced.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

That's why I moved from BG to E.on. BG tripled my DD & after I 'phoned them and asked if they were "Having a laarf" in no uncertain terms....I told them to put the A/C where the sun don't shine.

Then E.on did the same, I set the A/C up for X amount DD, I received a letter a few days later verifying, then a week later received another doubling the DD but to add insult to injury the transfer hadn't even been completed.

Eventually BG gave me a courtesy call & offered the Click 6, which was the better deal in the end.....so far ;-)

Don.

Reply to
Don

I've just asked to reduce my DD in line with the move to Click 6, I'll still be paying about £8/month over the odds. I'll see how that goes ! I'm just as happy to increase it when prices go up - well you know what I mean - but I object to investing £16.50/month with BG.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Daft thing is, I've'just received my 'final statement' this morning on my old BG account, along with a cheque for £48 'overpayment'. That was for the period *before* I refused to pay the increase!

They must be laughing all the way to the bank with the interest *they* are getting from mugs like us!

Don.

Reply to
Don

Well they've just accepted my suggestion for a reduced DD.

So in conclusion, having moved me onto Click 6 no question, reduced the DD, used my latest MR for the estimate, which meant the bill was virtually spot-on and lastly, their simplified online bill being very clear, credit where credit's due, I'm presently very happy with BG.

Oh and lastly, their message system seems to work, providing you are prepared to wait about a day for an answer.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap