OT Electric Shavers - mens views needed

You wriote as though it were fact.

Me too!

That's what you got:-)

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

And another. Mine is years old and, apart from the battery's capacity being reduced (probably only runs for about 45 minutes on a charge rather than the advertised 60), it's otherwise as good as new.

One of the things I really like about the Philips is how easy it is to clean. Just rinse under running hot water.

Richard.

Richard Russell

+1.

You'll not get as close a shave with an electric and they struggle to cope with a few days growth but they win on the convenience front.

The only problem is that the replacement foil/blades cost as much as a whole new shaver.

Reply to
Mark

The real point is that faces and beards vary. Some work best with wet shaving, some better with foils, some with rotaries...

Reply to
Bob Eager

All need a bit of patience to get your beard used to them.

Reply to
John

You state that as though it is fact. Yet I find I get more irritation from an electric shave (yes, with the wet/lubed type, as well as dry) than from a good clean wet shave. And I can wet shave in just a couple of minutes - so don't really see the problem.

Reply to
JW

No. I stated my opinion.

Reply to
JW

Same here, although I still shave my neck and upper cheeks. I had a Remington for donkey's years, because it doesn't get much use. Even managed to get a new foil for it some 20 years ofter buying it when it was long obsolete.

I broke the Remington whilst changing the rechargeable batteries in it for the second time. At that point, I went out and bought a Braun. The Bruan is basically dead 3 years on, and remember this is with much less use than someone clean-shaven would have given it. The foil is worn out, but no one stocks it for this 3 year old model anymore, and if I do find stock, it will be nearly £30. The beard trimmer went blunt quickly with very little use, and the integrated beard trimmer was a key feature of this model. (Fortunately I still have a separate

20 year old Braun beard trimmer which works fine.) So I'm having to look around again, having got very poor service from this Braun.

Features I look for: Fast recharge. Ability to use directly on mains when batteries are completely flat. I'm not interested in being able to hold it under a tap.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Very true. One other big issue with electric shavers is that it's an expensive mistake when you buy the wrong one. It's not really the sort of thing that you can go into a shop and try a load out. I bought the wet/dry Philishave system with the gels. At the time it was about £120. I didn't get on with it, and so had effectively wasted £120. Still got it somewhere. I must have used it perhaps 50 times.

Reply to
JW

Blimey. The last Philishave I bought cost under thirty quid, and does an excellent job. Charge the AA cells once a week or so, or buy a couple if I forget.

I still get a smoother result with a Gilette Blue II, though.

Reply to
John Williamson

It is. I get no more razor burn, etc...

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It takes several weeks for the facial skin to recover from 'scrape shaving' to the point where a rotary becomes truly effective. I've used philishaves for about sixty years now since I was a Philips apprentice in 1953. I tried and experienced several of 'the others' during barrack room sharing doing National Service but the Philips was always the fastest and by far the quietest. Nowadays my daily shave takes about a minute including cleaning the shaver using a wet &/or dry Nivea for Men version.

Michael Shergold

If in that situation steam your face in the shower first, dry it, then try it. Works for me :)

Reply to
Adrian C

I get annoyed at the TV adverts that show that all you need to do with a wet shave is swipe, swipe, swipe, all done. Lies!!! It's scrape scrape scraaapppe, scrape scrape scrape scraaapppe, scrape, scrape scrape, rinse, flick, scrape, scrape, scrape, rinse, flick, scrape, etc.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I am a fussy shaver and need to get every last bristle including those just inside the nose. Wet shave with Fusion (non-vibrating) - shaving oil (cheapest) - shave down and up - smoother than a babies bum - 5 minutes max

- blade lasts 1 calendar month (in case I forget to change it) - jobs a gud'n

Reply to
Jim S

You could do worse than try one of these -

it for a few days and you'll get it cheaper, £30 at the mo but has been £15. A set of new blades are £30. Charges in about 1 hr and will also run on mains.

Reply to
brass monkey

sweetheart wrote on Jan 10, 2011:

I've used many electric razors over the last 50 years and in that time they've improved vastly.

My current one is by far the best - a Philips rotary rechargeable. I can shave in less than a minute, it's very quiet, and I can rinse it under the hot tap to get rid of the bristles. The rechargeable battery lasts for nearly two months between charges so I can take it on holiday without worrying about a charger.

Oh, and it cost about £50 two years ago.

Reply to
Mike Lane

I've hit that age where they seem to grow faster then anything else. Nothing else but to get in ee! with argh! the tweezers orhh!!

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Heh. My 16-year-old, who currently sports nothing more than the occasional bit of bumf on his upper lip, got one of those, and I resisted the opportunity for a bit of parental teasing as to why 5 blades were required to shift it. I then discovered that he was using the blades (purchased with the family supermarket shopping) precisely once each, and then binning them, because he thought "that's what you were supposed to do"!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks for that. Phillips seems to be coming up quite a lot here. Certainly being cheaper it wouldnt be " waste" if it didnt work. My dad doesnt have such a strong beard - at least I dont think he does. I did buy one of those really cheap wet and dry things of bid TV but I think it was foil and both my husband and dad said it was not very good , although it did shave them both. I put that down to it being cheap and a travel job.

But I am looking at the phillips as a try out.

Reply to
sweetheart