OT: Electric cars; how green are they?

That would be hot. ;-)

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Porsche does, as an optional extra at least, for those with a couple of grand to burn and a need to shave a few lbs off the weight. Apparently the LiIon battery is only 18AH and cannot be used in winter.

Fat lot of use that is then.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Not necessarily. I don't reckon .. they could also propel the car as well but it would mean a rather low electromagnetic system be developed..

Reply to
tony sayer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

Small steps first. TTXGP has been doing it for years.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

... but other sources suggest a power density of only a third that of a lithium-ion unit, but much better energy density. Which would point towards a bus rather than a car.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In message , Frank Erskine writes

Can't I have one more go at him sir, please sir ?

Reply to
geoff

Yup. Despite the billions spent on research, the good ol' lead acid still reigns supreme - virtually as it was 100 years ago. Despite the claims.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

Yes, that's why you see so many RC models with them.

FFS.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

RC Models built with no regard for cost, efficiency, constrained by weight issues, cosseted by owners, frequently breaking down needing lots of fiddling about and cosseted by owners who enjoy that fiddling about. RC models where the charge characteristics of LiIon cells are preferable to those of LA cells because the models are used infrequently and constantly charging LA batteries to keep them in good condition is a pain, you mean.

Indeed, FFS.

Reply to
Steve Firth

FFS, you. Just because one type of battery is best for one application doesn't mean it would be a good substitute for all uses.

Or perhaps you think the type of IC engine used in RC model planes good for cars too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

sadly impractical with todays technology.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

RTG??

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

no different in principle to what runs electric trains.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nooo!, can't be doing with stringing wires up all over the place.

Pikey would nick 'em;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

The Natural Philosopher gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

How much fuel do you spill when you're filling your car up with petrol or diesel?

It's quite simple. If you compare grid-to-wheel, you're comparing the amount of electricity you're actually paying for to the amount of distance you drive. Same with comparing the amount of fuel you're paying for to the distance you drive.

Reply to
Adrian

That is a stunningly good idea actually Tony.

I wonder if its practical.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sure works on bicycles.

We strapped a 3cc diesel on the front of a bike once. Bloody fast.

somewhere on Tube is a video of a bike with one or two model jet turbines on it. Scary.

Lot of people electrifying bikes using model aircraft motors and batteries.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I;ll believe it when I see it. Zinc hasn;yt the energy desnity of lithium, full stop.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Translation: I'm a d*****ad

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Radio-isotope Thermonuclear Generator. The things that Pioneer and Voyager are powered by.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q