OT: Electric cars; how green are they?

I thought the idea of abandoning turbines was to reduce the size of the cooling system.

And it'll work for turbines too.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

"Prius's suck".

Reply to
Huge

Or, since we are not grocer's: "Priuses suck"

Reply to
Tim Streater

Which standards bodies are driving this then? And how will this work in anything except an ISP's own administrative domain? You don't control routing outside your own domain - which routing protocol did you have in mind?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Or even "Prius' suck".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , "dennis@home" writes

That'd be you stuffed then

Reply to
geoff

Why is light weight not a good thing for an IC based car? (I'm thinking Lotus Elise here...)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

ITU, DoD, several large companies.

The existing protocols work quite well. It requires agreements and ways to manage those agreements.

Reply to
dennis

Why? Have you got it wrong again?

Reply to
dennis

In article , Steve Firth writes

It's probably the enormous mass of the batteries - that would provide a helluva lot of inertia in a crash.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , John writes

Indeed. It's the same thing with CFLs - how can they be disposed of in an environmentally friendly manner?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Ericp writes

Battery replacement every 80-100k miles. Not cheap.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Why indeed. Comparisons in running costs between 'alternate' fuel vehicles tend to ignore that they use all sorts of energy saving methods not currently employed on conventional cars. Lightweight materials, skinny tyres, etc. And of course as you reduce one component's weight, others follow as they don't have to be as strong. And things like brakes can save a lot of weight - smaller ones give the same performance if you save weight on the main structure.

Of course as petrol prices etc increase these things will happen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These are either not standards bodies, or in the case of the ITU, not a standards body that had anything to do with the development of the Internet.

Which ones are you referring to?

Such already exist and are implemented. How else do you think traffic flows between ISPs? I'd agree the protocols are inadequate, and require too high a proportion of very smart people to keep the Internet going. It's two years since I retired from that game, but I heard no talk then of anything of the sort.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It is, but it's simpler to just put a more powerful engine in a heavier car. If you have to fill up with fuel a bit more often, it's no big deal, especially if you can make the heavy car more cheaply and sell the extra weight as a safety feature in a collision.

But in an electric car and current technology, having to stop and recharge is a huge deal, so if you don't make the car efficient, either range is too limited to be useful, or so much of it is taken up with batteries that you end up with a car much bigger, heavier, and slower than an Elise, but with even less passenger and cargo capacity.

If you have an electric car that's only useful for short commutes, you have to persuade people that it's worth having one of them _and_ using something else that will handle larger journeys with more people (which might be rented, or a car club, or public transport, or owning another (IC) car).

Reply to
Alan Braggins

I suggest you look at who is on the ietf and who is on the itu. Who do you think is installing the networks BTW, people who drive the ITU or people that drive the IETF?

Stuff in the core like MPLS.

Ah well you were on the ISP side and not the carriers side then. The ISPs appear to have their heads in the sand.

Reply to
dennis

Of course not - look who you're talking to.

Reply to
Huge

its good, but its not worth making the car twice as expensive for.

For an electric, its imperative.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

at currentt prices,. 15k or so for a tesla.

expect to p-ex tho. lithoum is in short supply.

Or in fact cars all on contract hiore probably. Not your problem.

But bartteries will get better life wise.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The people who drive the protocols are those on the IETF.

Well you can do a VPN. But that doesn't influence actual traffic routes, at the IP packet level. How the packets flow (that is, what path they take) is determined by use of IS-IS or OSPF within a network, and BGP4 between networks.

Depends on your perspective, dunnit? The likes of JANET saw us as a carrier, being that we carried their international traffic around Europe. On the other hand we needed (multiple) connections to the likes of Telia, Colt, Global Crossing, and others, to carry traffic to the rest of the Internet.

No good asking me.

Reply to
Tim Streater