OT: Electric car batteries

Which is what is meant by "packaging" when talking about cars. Fitting all the bits in.

Reply to
Huge

Of course it's been thought of - and a long time ago when car batteries had an even shorter life than now.

The bid snag is an empty battery is worth about the same as a full one, and a considerable sum. So very different from an empty calor gas cylinder which is worth very little.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why is that a snag?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

It was proposed in the 60s. The battery was Zinc air. I think these are lighter than Li.

Reply to
Capitol

Presumably the charge density or cost or something is not comparable, or they'd be using those now instead of LiIon.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Zinc air not ;lighter than LI.

Lithium air lightest technology there is, but almost impractical to even consider, so far.

However, lithium air *could* be light enough for commercial aircraft.

It is in my ten years interest in the subject the only battery technology *potentially* capable of equalling diesel/kerosene.

No working examples exist outside the laboratory.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm sure this is done in some circles. Certainly a buss I saw being discussed did exactly this to keep it going all day. It rather reminded me of the old dairy where all the electric vehicles were on charge during the day and early evening before being filled with bottles for the morning round. It always struck me as very perverse to invent a quiet vehicle then deliver the stuff in glass bottles which make one heck of a racket at night. Is this just the English way? Come to that, what about a giant slot car in reverse so on motorways, you simply poke a peg down a slott in the road and run of the power from two conductors in the slot?

Come to that, whyy not turn the car into a trolley buss system with overhead wires? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The first electrically powered model aircraft used some kind of battery you had to put water in, but I never had one to test. Apparently the cells only lasted a few months in those days.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ah, like a giant Scalextrik.

For a moment I thought you were going to suggest the other peg-in-a-slot model cars which had no motor but the slot contained a continuous spiral spring which was dragged around the slot by a track-side motor, and the cars had pegs which engaged with the spring so they all went round with the spring.

Reply to
NY

What about those nanocarbon batteries?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Doesn't sound as fun to drive.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Not wires, you'd need some sort of overhead electrified grid and a metal road. You'd also need a turntable with very noticeable wow and heavy distortion playing 'Monkey Spanner'.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

what other material would you have used in the 1930s?

Reply to
charles

The vast investment needed. A Calor Gas supplier will have lots of cylinders in stock ready to go. A car battery pack can cost 10,000 quid and more.

And of course they don't last forever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Goatskin bottles? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Experience!

Reply to
Capitol

Ha! Yes, my thought also, well, leather anyway. On a more practical note, stoneware. Lots of stuff sold in them, notably beer and ginger-beer.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Experience tells you that a wind farm cannot be in a different place to the consumer? WTF?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Thanks for the correction. IIRC it was GE looking at Zn air.

Reply to
Capitol

Not much use in no wind, look at Gridwatch, if that's not too difficult for you to understand.

Reply to
Capitol