OT: Elderly 4x4's for the poor elderly.

[snip]

Have you thought about a small agricultural tractor for towing, and a conventional saloon for the other work?

Reply to
Graham J

The Terracan is something I didn't know about, and looks interesting, although towing capacity is listed as 2800kg as against the Disco's

3500.

Not sure about a tractor for road use. For boat + trailer long road tows we hire a van, short road use plus fields/boatyards was a Disco and would be the Jeep replacement, others use tractors kept on site in other boatyards. The empty trailer has a long tow home and back each year, is quite heavy (4 big Land Rover wheels) and I wouldn't want it on the back of my car.

I keep telling my son he needs an old tractor for his big garden, but he hasn't yet bitten.

Reply to
Bill

Yes, they are all three door which helps to keep the wheelbase short for turning. They are also relatively small, an advantage when you have a narrow access like mine, not so good for less agile rear seat passengers. Mine had the two "jump seats" in the back which are easier to get into, less ideal for long journeys.

Maybe they don't have an automatic. (Troopers and Shoguns seem to be mainly automatic).

Reply to
newshound

If anybody finds a half-way passable Fourtrak surviving, let me know, because there's a whole raft of hill farmers who would love to have it. They're quite probably the most common older 4x4 round these parts, mostly clinging to life with structural sheepshit.

Reply to
Adrian

I'd love an excuse to have an old tractor, but have to satisfy myself with just an old Landy.

Reply to
Adrian

Was going to suggest a Pajero but I think only 2.8 ton towing rating. Comfy and reliable. My automatic used to have the option to lock the diff as required.

I see elsewhere you say 3.5tons towing. There are very few cars (eg not vans or trucks) rated for 3.5 tons so your choice should be simple.

TW

Reply to
TimW

To aid manouverability think about a tow hitch on the front. John Gifford

Reply to
Giffo

I was quite fond of my two, used them for towing when I had riding horses, but we can manage with a Renault Master now for our toy equines. Have to say that this is a much more civilised drive! No good if there is much mud, though.

Reply to
newshound

I have a small tractor for the paddocks which I rent, but actually the ATV is more fun and, for most things, more useful. (I have a Cub Cadet).

Reply to
newshound

Check with your insurers before buying a Pajero. This is an imported Shogun and last time I looked my two usual insurers (NFU plus a broker that I have used for decades) would not touch them. Obviously, there are people who will.

Reply to
newshound