OT - effectiveness of recycling?

I compost all my own stuff including hedge clippings. I take stuff from my neighbours too. Takes one/two years to compost thicker twigs. I run anything over 10mm dia through the shredder & it will compost in six months. I also buy compost at the recycle centre. They will deliver by the truck load if you want. There are no separate bins for garden waste here

Reply to
harryagain

Hmmm... "Live - On YouTube You can now watch us on YouTube. The facility, our machinery, the process and our estate." ... couple of three year old videos.

Reply to
Richard

Ah!

Makes sense to crop the rim off - I just wasn't sure that they would go to the extra expense of doing this.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Actually it gets used to make glass fibre insulation.

Reply to
Huge

Some.

How much glass fibre did you use last year? How many glass bottles did you throw away?

I'll bet the second was an order of magnitude greater than the first

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It costs next to no CO2 to send stuff to china, the empty container ships are going there anyway.

Reply to
dennis

It was crushed and used here as hardcore, thereby avoiding landfill tax, but there was some concern that according to EU rules, it probably should still be subject to landfill tax, even when buried under roads and pavements as hardcore.

It's never worth recycling back into glass - there's almost no market for low grade glass made from recycled glass, and it costs more than making new glass. Even the crushed glass hardcore costs more than real hardcore, and is only marginally worthwhile due to avoiding landfill tax.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Extrapolating from the singular to the general is pointless.

Reply to
Huge

Even if it were the case that the container ships use not even one extra joule nor emit a single extra molecule of CO2, the transport from numerous collecting points to the ships ain't going to be without any CO2 emissions.

Reply to
polygonum

But if you are a commercial new build, I suspect it is not

tim

Reply to
tim.....

well there's something that they couldn't have predicted - not!

tim

Reply to
tim.....

The compost ends up in grow bags and potting compost sold by the supermarkets/sheds.

Reply to
alan_m

Much of the recycling is not CO2 effective. Add also the environmental cost of people transporting glass to the collection points in cars.

As I've posted before people sort glass into the various colours, place in in the nominated bins and then the truck comes along and it ALL gets mixed up in the same load back to the 'recycling' plant.

Reply to
alan_m

Well "driving to the bottle bank" is a euphemism for pointless recycling!

I only started recycling glass when they started collecting it from the kerbside.

Those date back to the original (failed) attempts to reuse the glass as bottles and whatnot - that never worked. The giant bins with compartments for each type of glass - the separators between the compartments were long since taken out.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've had a compost bin running for about 4 years. Mostly grass cuttings and other stuff the mower picks up - twigs and holly tree leaves. The bin has been full at end of last two summers, but settles enough over winter to get the next year's in (helped by me jumping up and down on it at the end of this year).

The stuff at the bottom is not well rotted yet. Holly leaves appear not to rot at all, and neither have the twigs completely.

New grass added at the top always looks like it's starting to rot down nicely a week or two later.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel posted

What's bad about putting it into landfill anyway? (I mean from the Eurocrats' POV - obviously it's bad from our POV because the Eurocrats tax it!)

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Our recycling went up a lot when the council switched from their previously laughable multi-sorted boxes (one with types 1,2,3 only plastics plus cans, one for pristine paper, one for garden waste)

optional garden waste

and

green bin for *everything* vaguely recyclable (any paper, card, all plastics, tetrapaks, tins) plus glass in a separate box.

The green bin is full every 2 weeks and the black general refuse bin is a lot less full.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Semi-rigid packaging is either PVC or more commonly nowadays for food is Apet, to heat seal the top film to the pack uses mostly PP and this is laminated to the film during the production process. Just to cut of the sealed area still leaves the laminated PP over the rest of the pack. Vacuum packs i.e. bacon cooked meats etc. are Nylon laminated with PP, again this is an overall coating.

As for Co2, rigid cooked food containers contains 75% Co2 the rest being N2, you often get a whiff when opening the packs. Fresh red meats contain 30% Co2, the rest being N2 and a large volume of O2 which keeps the meat red for presentation.

As for my recycle bin they allow all plastics & paper including yoghurt/butter tubs which are PS which previously went to landfill so everything goes in there if at all plastic, always plenty of room in the general bin come day of collection which is every other week. Just recently they now take small electrical goods and batteries, just have to leave them in a carrier bag next to the bin, also Xmas trees the first week in Jan.

My green bin takes garden refuse apart from cooked items which I put out for the fox's/Badgers, peelings etc. go on the compost heap along with shredded personal documents, anything else I burn, I love a good bonfire.

I come under Central Beds Council and with no extra charge on top of the tax, they seem to be doing a decent job.

Barry

Reply to
Corporal Jones

And in terms of ton/mile is probably not insignificant.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

The real trick is for several councils to go into it together on a single contract, which AIUI is what happens around here.

Reply to
Tim Streater