OT; Education

Got an e-mail headed;

'work need done'

The message was;

'hi david i ask how much will cost to plastic a bedroom as they only 3 walls need plastic as how much would it cost as you can get hold me on xxxx xxxxxx.'

I replied;

Hi 'I guess you mean plaster? In which case I'm sorry but I can't help, I don't do plastering.'

The reply came back;

'ok thank you of update if i don't ask i done know'

His first name & surname were very common English names, so I assume English is his first language, although I might be wrong.

SWMBO works in social services and commented that they get many similarly poor communications.

Not saying my grasp of grammar & punctuation is 100% perfect.

Which prompts the question; just how bad is our education system?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

At least there was a "thank you".

Reply to
ARW

My spelling is terrible but I do know the general form of the word that I am trying to type.

Very, judging by some of the Facebook posts I see.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You can't make that assumption. We've just come back from a month in China where we had contact with quite a number of guides and drivers who all, apart from one, had Anglicised names like, for example, 'Tony'. The same choice is often made over here with it being easier to swap to a 'local' name than to explain/spell the real name.

The same also applies to call centre droids in places like India.

tee hee Glasgow slang is wursur ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ in the trailer park

"Jim GM4DHJ in the trailer park ..." wrote in message news:mikok1$9g6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Jim GM4DHJ in the trailer park

I know that one of those who uses a VERY english name, that the reason she does is because the class where she learned to speak english in China started off just telling every member of the class what english name they would have.

Quite bizarre IMO but that is the way they do it.

Back in the very early 70s, we had one chinese fellow who glorified in the name of Blunden Butt. We made snide remarks about him having overdosed on westerns while waiting to get a visa. I notice he is still around on LinkedIn.

Reply to
Jacko

I think that says more about who uses facebook.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Interesting, I recall my early French lessons where everyone was given a French name and this was always used to address us in French lessons. I can't remember mine!

Reply to
Fredxxx

Never had that myself and I was forced to do all of French, German and Russian at different times.

Reply to
Jacko

so what's the nationality of (one time world cycling champion) Tony Martin then?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

This last bit may be more key than many realise. Its the first time in history in which large swathes of jo public get to have their written communications "published" for the world to see. In the past, many that were poor at written communications would have avoided doing so as far as possible. Now, not so much!

Reply to
John Rumm

The Medway Handyman scribbled

Having seen the result of the election...

Reply to
Jonno

Nothing to do with the education system.

Reply to
Jacko

Cute - but a little snobby.

Round my way, FB is used as the defacto local forum and everyone from the councillors to old retired dudes are on it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I had one in Spanish - Manuel IIRC, or might have been Miguel.

But not in French. Sadly I was never enthused by either language and they would not let me do German because "it was too hard".

Reply to
Tim Watts

In general, not as bad as it is in the US of A. However, that's not saying very much and I'm rather of the opinion that the standard has been dropping over the past half century or so here in the UK (or at least in England, I shouldn't presume anything about the other nations' educational system's merits).

Reply to
Johnny B Good

+1
Reply to
Malcolm Race

I booted FB off about 4 years ago. I think I may have sent a couple of messages on it. The quality and intelligence of the users depressed me. By coincidence I rejoined today. Nothing seems to have changed. Thing is that some of the people there have a brain, but they put it to sleep when they log on. When I have finished being nosey I'll boot it off again.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Even though the Facebook Ts&Cs mean they own you.

Reply to
Tim Streater