OT: Ebay sale.

Obviously trying it on. Where is he? Perhaps someone could pop round and "explain"?

Reply to
Huge

Good grief, he could easily have taken a photo in that time.

As I said before, I think he's trying it on. Yes, you know how you sent it but you *don't* know how it arrived as he won't provide proof, it may or may not have got squashed.

If I were you I stick to your guns. No proof, no refund.

Regards,

Reply to
Him & Her

Return for full credit. When he negs you report to ebay for feedback extortion.

Reply to
ss

That's what I offered him at the top of the post you quoted.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He is childish with his language but given that several responders on here agree it would have been better to box the box(!) he does have a point. Perhaps he doesn't want to bother to take a photo because he thinks you'll not refund anyway, in which case it would be a waste of his time.

I don't know if six squid is the appropriate amount and I haven't checked his feedback, but if it was me and he had good feedback I would own up to an error and offer him maybe half of what he's asking (depending on what the value actually was). Why not make him an offer subject to receiving a photo? He might send one once you offer to compromise.

There is always the risk he might start ebay's complaints procedure which you will likely loose because their packing FAQ does imply using a box. To be honest I don't see anything to indicate he is 'trying it on'.

are some things to keep in mind when packaging your items for postage:

Choose a box that is slightly larger than the item you are sending so you can cushion the item with packing material on all sides. Pack the item with bubble wrap, polystyrene beads or peanuts, foam, or paper so there is no room for your item to shift.

Use clear or brown packaging tape, reinforced packing tape, or paper tape. Tape should be at least 5cm wide. Do not use masking tape, sellotape, cord, string, or twine. Tape the opening of the box and reinforce all seams.

Properly label the package and include a return address. If you?re reusing a box, cover any previous labels or cross out any previous address information with a heavy black marker.

-- Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

"My policy is only to provide refunds where direct evidence of damage is submitted to me. Neither are mere allegations of damage sufficient to constitute negative feedback and I will take this matter up with Ebay if you attempt to use it to extort a refund"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I agree, but you can't prove it.

Maybe have a browse through his feedback and contact a few sellers of similar items to see if he demanded a partial refund.

Reply to
Onetap

Hi Dave, Indeed, and I'm not suggesting you should. But getting it returned and refunding is a hassle both of you loose out on postage and you still have to resell it. I just wonder if offerring a small rebate, only *offerring* at this stage not actually paying it, would elicite the photo. If he turns that down then I too would swing towards a 'try-on' verdict.

Reply to
Phil Addison

From the onset it was obvious (to me) he wanted a rebate. That's why I asked for a pic. I wouldn't find that an unreasonable request so I don't see why he should - especially since he's a dealer and must be used to taking pics of such things. And his first post simply put my hackles up.

FWIW, I bought a PCB LED thermometer from China which was very inaccurate. They asked me what the marking was on a couple of resistors which I gave them. They then asked if I could send a pic. ;-) Luckily I have a USB microscope, so was able to do one of the resistors. They sent me a new one FOC and a couple of resistors to fix the original...

That's the sort of thing I've come to expect from the trades I do on Ebay. I wasn't prepared for it to be any different with models. Luckily I was just selling for a pal so won't be involved with this sort of thing again. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I got caught like that once, buyer said item was faulty and would not return (too busy, could not afford return postage). Luckily it was only for a small amount and rather than have the hassle I refunded.

Later I read the Ebay help though it's from the buyers point of view it does state how Ebay sees things

" If you have received the item, but it doesn't match the seller's description, the seller may: Offer you a partial refund=20 Ask that you return the item for a full refund Ask that you return the item in exchange for a replacement item, if you agree If you're offered a partial refund, you can accept it, request a = different amount, or suggest another solution, like returning the item for a full refund. You can also ask eBay Customer Support to review the case. Keep = in mind that eBay's decision on a case is final. We'll ask you to confirm that you've received the refund or sent the item back. To show that you've sent an item back to the seller, you'll need to post the item with tracking information and then enter the tracking = number in the Resolution Centre.

More about refunds If you're given a refund, you'll usually receive it through same payment method that you used to pay for the item. If you bought an item with a payment method other than PayPal, we'll ask you to confirm receipt of the refund. A full refund is one that covers the cost of the item and original postage. If you've received an item and want a full refund, you'll = usually need to send the item back to the seller. Buyers are responsible for paying return postage unless the buyer and seller have reached a = different agreement. In unusual circumstances, eBay may pay return postage."

The point is 'Full Refund' then return to seller If he won't return for full refund I believe that you would have a good case for Ebay to rescind any negative feedback.

=20

--=20 Claim nothing: Enjoy David: NorthWest England

Reply to
David

Just as an update, I contacted Ebay yesterday evening via the appropriate page and complained about the feedback extortion. By this time he'd left negative feedback since it would have been obvious even to him I wasn't just going to give in. You have to copy the appropriate communication from the other party which I did, and this morning got a post from them saying my negative feedback would be removed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good to hear the system has worked as it should. Shame your buyer was such an arse.

Reply to
Him & Her

appropriate

Good to hear that.

--=20 Claim nothing: Enjoy David: NorthWest England

Reply to
David

Thats the spirit. Go after the bastards.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not sure how you can make such judgements!

Example: I get spam from an eBay member. I got this reply when I complained:

"I apologise for the delay in responding. I understand the frustration of other member spamming you with emails. Please note that it is not possible to block emails from another member on eBay. However, you may be able to block the sender's incoming messages. This is a feature provided by most email service providers. Please consult the help section of your email service provider to find out how to block messages."

In other words we don't care if ebay members spam you, and we're not going to do anything about it.

Reply to
Fredxx

The plot thickens. It's getting like an episode of Hustle.

Ebay removed the negative feedback he'd left after seeing the pm he'd sent to be demanding a partial refund or he'd leave negative feedback.

He then opened a dispute with Paypal. Wanted a full refund on the grounds the goods were damaged. I'd already offered him this earlier. So of course I agreed - don't think you have an option. A parcel arrived from him - recorded delivery - and was empty apart from some packing materials and an empty sellotape reel. ;-)

As it happened it was opened it in front of two friends. As I guessed he'd pull some trick or other. I suspected the model would have been trashed - but not this...

I've reported all this to Ebay so will be interested to see what they do. I'm not that bothered about the money, but don't like attempted cons.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's fortunate, I had a guy threaten me with neg feedback if I didn't allow him to return some collectables I'd sold him for a full refund, which I wasn't inclined to do unless he provided photos of the damage first (I suspected he hadn't read the product description and had unrealistic expectations as to the state of the packaging) . It didn't help that the person, who was apparently English, didn't seem to have a very good grasp of the English language and kept sending me emails in unintelligible gibberish.

Anyway, because I refused to go along with his unreasonable demands he left me 3 negative marks, which I reported to Ebay for feedback extortion. Yet they allowed them to stand.

I think its a sad state of affairs when buyers are allowed to leave sellers bad feedback just for the hell of it, but the only feedback that sellers can leave for buyers is positive, or none at all. You can't even leave a buyer bad feedback if they don't pay, you can report them and get them a non-paying bidder strike, but you cannot give bad feedback to them to warn other sellers. This is clearly unfair and one of the things that has put me off using Ebay.

Reply to
Simon T

Be aware that EVEN WITH FULL DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE OF POSTING RECEIPT AND ALL TRANSACTIONS, paypal 'refunded' over 400 quid to one customer who simply lied through his back teeth.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They don't call them baggage manglers for nothing!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

They are as nothing compared to the TSA goons in the USA. I sat at Heathrow watching a suitcase done up with duct tape slide down the luggage carousel, thinking "I wonder which poor bastard that belongs to?" Needless to say, it was mine. All done "for my own safety" apparently.

Reply to
Huge