OT Driving licences

I do not consider 8 mph to be "slow" for nearly silent lumps of metal which are often used by people who seem to have learnt to drive from the Waffen SS book "how to do blitzkrieg".

Reply to
Robin

Only Class 3 invalid carriages can do 8mph and, like Class 1 and Class

2, they are not permitted to exceed 4mph on pavements.
Reply to
Nightjar

"Not Permitted" and "Do Not" are not necessarily the same thing.

Reply to
Davey

Brian Gaff scribbled...

The majority I see are being ridden/driven by old wimmin. I wouldn't be surprised if only a few have even driven cars, couple that with poor eyesight and being miserable bastards and we end up with squadrons of silent assassins.

Reply to
Jabba

"Nightjar scribbled...

How safe would you feel driving one of them things on the road ?

Reply to
Jabba

You're right. There ought to be a law against it.

Oh, wait a sec...

Reply to
Adrian

That is why I carefully used the words 'not permitted'.

Reply to
Nightjar

Plenty do, including this one whose only breach of the law was not to have a rotating yellow beacon on a vehicle that was not capable of doing more than 25mph while travelling on a dual carriageway with a speed limit of more than 40mph:

Nightjar

Which I consider to be more confusing. The minibus and minibus with trailer classes are clearly marked with a not for hire or reward code, but my car class is not, although I would be breaking the law if I did.

Reply to
Nightjar

There - fixed that for you.

Reply to
Tim Streater

? You would not be breaking the law on driver licencing if you were driving a pre-booked private hire car or a small van delivering parcels on a normal car licence with the appropriate insurance. In a lot of towns you need a CRB check and a permit, as well as proof that you were pre-booked, and didn't just pick a passenger up "on spec", but the driving licence is for classes A and/ or B, and the permit needed to work as a private hire driver is due to local byelaws, and again, is nothing to do with the DVLA.

You do, however, need a special licence to drive a hackney carriage (AKA a taxi with a meter), but again, that licence has nothing to do with the DVLA. The vehicle needs to pass a stricter test than the normal MOT, too.

Reply to
John Williamson

"Nightjar scribbled...

FFS, you would only be breaking the law if your insurance didn't cover you to drive for hire & reward.

Reply to
Jabba

The rule of thumb that the courts seem to be using at the moment is "Has the specific trip been directly paid for by the passenger or by someone else on their behalf?" So, a one-off trip (Say, to the theatre) paid for by parents is for hire or reward, or a home to school shuttle where each child has to have a pass which the parents pay for, whether that's part of the normal school fees or not, fits the description, while a regular shuttle from school to the swimming pool or a trip to play sports at another location is not, as long as the cost of the trip is included in the overall school budget, and not charged (Actually or nominally) to the individual users.

Reply to
John Williamson

Which, as I have already pointed out, it does not, but what if I didn't know that?

Reply to
Nightjar

John Williamson scribbled...

Alternative, is a teacher/person driving the bus as part of their job.

Reply to
Jabba

I do have insurance - my bicycle is covered for theft or third-party injury by my household insurance.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

As a hypothetical person, you did *read* the terms and conditions of your insurance policy, didn't you? If not, then you may well have some nasty surprises coming your way.

They have absolutely *nothing* to do with what's on your licence, as long as the licence covers the type of vehicle you are about to drive.

Reply to
John Williamson

However, that is not my car, as specified in my post. As I said, it is far more confusing than the situation regarding me driving a minibus.

Reply to
Nightjar

"Nightjar scribbled...

In the event of an accident or being pulled by the old bill, you'd be in deep shit.

Reply to
Jabba

It shouldn't be. I own a Land Rover. It is insured to carry any items necessary to my part time job of recording sound and pictures (Including delivery of finished material to clients) as well as for social, domestic and pleasure use and commuting to either of my employer's depots. If I altered the insurance, it could just as well be insured for carrying parcels for one of the courier companies, just as I did in the

1970s for my Morris Minor van. My vehicle, their packages.

Most private hire car drivers own the car they use, and pay the operating company a commission for each booking. PDP, among others, use mainly owner drivers to deliver their parcels.

I have owned many cars, which were insured only for SDP use, including commuting. If I'd carried a paying passenger or charged to deliver a package using it, I would have been breaking the law, but that had nothing to do with my driving licence, as there is no endorsement possible that I know of for class A and B stating "Not for hire or reward". If I carry a paying passenger in the Land Rover, I'm breaking the law, but that has nothing to do with my licence, just the insurance.

Reply to
John Williamson