OT Driving licences

I recently looked at a renewed driving licence. It appears to show that a car driver can now drive a motorcycle with no test. Is this correct? The person concerned cannot ride a bicycle!

Reply to
Capitol

A car licence has acted as a provisional for motorcycles (below a certain size) for some time. Hence all those Pizza boys having L plates.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My first driving license, in 1967, for three-wheeled vehicles, also allowed me to ride lawn mowers and motor cycles on the public road. A year later, I got my 4-wheel license, which allowed me the provisional riding of the same vehicles. My first car was an AC. A Petite one, but an AC, nonetheless. Not many people can say that.

Mine was the Mk. 2, thankfully. It only once did 55 mph. but it always managed 65-70 mpg. On that page, click the second link under 'References' for a spot of nostalgia.

Reply to
Davey

No, it isn't, and it doesn't. See where it says "79(tri)" after the bike category A? That means "Tricycles only" - which used to be part of the usual car category B.

Reply to
Adrian

Capitol scribbled...

No. You're only allowed to ride a moped. But you have to go on a one day course before you can take the moped on the road.

Reply to
Jabba

A full list of old and new driving categories is given here:

which may be modified by one or more of the following codes:

Nightjar

I missed that!

Reply to
Capitol

"Nightjar scribbled...

They still haven't sorted out the confusing regarding mini-buses. Many people can drive them, but not for hire & reward. In some cases this affects school mini-buses.

Reply to
Jabba

I found this useful:

number

Reply to
Bob Eager

I don't see what is confusing about that. I can't drive my car for hire or reward, as it would then be uninsured.

Reply to
Nightjar

But your driving licence would cover it.

Reply to
polygonum

I suspect the confusion arises if it's an official school trip, but the parents have paid towards it. Is that "for hire or reward"?

Reply to
charles

charles scribbled...

The answer can be found by asking the insurance company. Some allow non- PSV licence holders, some don't.

Reply to
Jabba

In message , Bob Eager writes

I am pleased to see I am provisionally licensed to drive a road roller or a track laying vehicle:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Bob Eager scribbled...

Be careful who you pass your National Insurance No onto. There's enough info required on there to enable ID theft.

Reply to
Jabba

The words used in section 19 of the Transport act 1985 are "Not for profit". If the trip has been paid for, the courts have held that to be driving for hire or reward.

If a school or other organisation own a minibus or bus and it is used solely for transporting their members without making a profit, then anyone with a car licence gained before 1997 can drive it, as long as the passengers have not been charged in any way for the journey, and the organisation hold a section 19 permit, and the licence shows an entitlement for vehicle class D1 with or without the endorsement "Not for hire or reward". A condition for holding a section 19 permit is having the correct insurance and ensuring the driver is appropriately licenced.

There's a friendly brochure here:-

John Williamson

Sorry, forgot to mention that the concession for car drivers holding old licences is *only* for vehicles with fewer than 17 seats including the driver.

Reply to
John Williamson

Enterprise might drop a tank off for you to practice on....

Reply to
Davey

I personally feel all electric buggies should have insurance and the drivers should be tested. the programme on this on the other week just reinforced what I have discovered for myself attempting to move between shops locally.

They may only go slow, but they are bloody heavy and far too quiet for us blind folk.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So, it is more a confusion about the definition than about the licence itself.

Reply to
Nightjar