OT - Driving In France, new law!

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

you need one of those cords so they can dangle ...

Reply to
geoff

nightjar My pilot's licence requires me to carry a spare pair when flying too. I

You need a miniaturised version of the old "find your keys" whistle-activated bleeper.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Oh please, NO!

Reply to
Bruce

Me too!

Reply to
Bruce

I'd still need to see where the noise was coming from

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

At a time when that was the case for me also, I once put my glasses down beside me. Some papers fell down on top of them, but I continued working. Later, when I came to lift the papers to put them back on, there they were -- gone! I moved everything in that corner of the room but couldn't find them, and missed a meeting I was supposed to be at that evening. In the end I had to get a new pair. It was only several years later when I moved house that they emerged. Somehow, they had jumped into a bookshelf and fallen behind some rarely-used books.

Speaking of which, you know the pathologist on one of the CSIs who has a pair that snap together? How do they work? Magnets? The action is always too fast on the screen to make out what happens.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Well, yes, if they are stupid enough to *take* 2 pairs with them every trip. More sensible people just keep their spare pair in the car...

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Bruce gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I managed to roll up and pack a tent away once without removing my glasses from the pocket in the inner liner. Gaffer tape only goes so far in repairing them.

Reply to
Adrian

Never having (irretrievably) broken my specs since I was a kid I've never really thought about the implications of breaking a pair when miles away from home in the car; but this thread has made me think and the above is a damned good idea! Will move my spare pair to the car this morning!

David

Reply to
Lobster

What's the difference between Class 1 and 2 (and any others?) - anyone know if you need a particular type for driving in Europe?

Bit worried as I've just blown 1.78 GBP on a Class 2 hi-vis vest off ebay having read about this: hope to God I haven't wasted my money... ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

I just have a cheap pair from Glasses Direct - 15 quid.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've got a few I've picked up over the years at market stalls. One that stays in the boot of the car is a very nice thick padded coat with a hood rolled into the collar. It was under £10. Initially bought it for the bicycle in the winter, but it was too hot for that. I've used it at the scene of one accident and one breakdown (neither my own, I'm glad to say). The others are sleaveless open fronted vests, which again I bought for the bicycle, and I think they were around £2 from market stalls. Real bicycle gear with the same 3M scotchguard reflector on it costs a load more, and you get a titchy amount of the reflector.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They then get in the way. Metal framed glasses ad electricity don't mix very well.

Reply to
<me9

I was in the same boat until about 15 years ago. Apart from the odd screw coming loose, and forgetting where I'd put them the night before after arriving back intoxicated, I had no problems since about age 15.

Then I took my daughter to swim in the sea, to prepare her for a lifesaving test in open water. I didn't intend to swim, just go in, and left my glasses on. Once in, I changed my mind and started to swim in th North sea, and discovered I could no longer see. I then realised I hadn't been wearing my prescription goggles, but my glasses.

I had to stagger to the phone in a nearby pub in order to get SWMBO to find?? suitable spare specs and drive the 30 miles to where I was. Fortunately we'd just got a second car. I now have a spare pair in each car, and carry additional spares as well.

Reply to
<me9

I thought I was the only plonker who did things like lose glasses in the sea... :-)

Reply to
Rod

I felt a right plonker wandering through the pub in my swimming goggles trying to find the phone, I tell you!

Reply to
<me9

I saw one only the other day which had a flashing red LED as well as the bleeping sound.

I wish I could remember where I saw it. :-(

Reply to
Bruce

Only Elastoplast will do. As Jack Duckworth would tell you. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Bruce gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Ah, but I had some gaffer tape with me...

Who? No, I probably don't want to know.

Reply to
Adrian

Neodymium magnet, see

't tried them myself - I go for their cheaper types. Are they compass safe? :-)

Reply to
John W.