OT: Driving electric cars in winter

Odd, for me I can see a light from a tractor or ambulance equally day or night.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I don't look into my own full beam when wishing to overtake.

Reply to
bert

In article , Tim Lamb writes

Not until there;s a queue of 6 vehicles behind.

Reply to
bert

In article , NY writes

They are at our local agricultural college.

+1
Reply to
bert

But it lights up the road ahead of you.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

SIX?!? I've seen way more than 6.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Never seen anyone follow that instruction.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

In message , bert writes

None of my tractors exceed 18mph on the highway and this is a very busy area trafficwise. I pull over when I can.

Most modern tractors can do 40k legally and they may feel they are not much of a hindrance.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

40,000 what?

Anything going as slow as the speed limit is a menace.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Anyone courteous enough not to want to distract other road users?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Do you also object to motorbikes riding around in the daytime with their headlights on to make them more visible. *Anything* which makes a car more visible so it stands out from the background has got to be a good thing. I don't find DRLs (used during the day) any more distracting than any other car lights. If the DRLs were used at the same brightness at night, when your eyes are attuned to darker lighting, then it would be a different matter, but cars seem to either adjust the brightness of the DRLs at night or else turn them off altogether when the side/headlights are on, so this doesn't seem to be a problem. And they are only visible for a short time as the car passes you.

Brake lights or rear fog lights at night are another matter: everyone I've spoken to finds them very distracting at night because a) they are a highly monochromatic light (as opposed to white) and b) they are visible for a long time if you are following or stuck in a queue behind a car that leaves them on permanently.

Bu we all find different things annoying.

Reply to
NY

On Tue, 09 Feb 2016 16:59:19 -0000, Adrian wrote= :

Stupid way of looking at it. Like the media hype that says "=A35 billio= n was spent on this", but if you divide that by the population it's penn= ies.

The only important thing is the price PER CAR. If you make a car =A31 c= heaper, it's =A31 cheaper, not =A31 million cheaper.

-- =

Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the perso= n who doesn't get it.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

She's not wearing a boiler suit, it's trousers and top.

men and fashion ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No. But do object when they are set so high to make them very visible in sunlight, then dazzle badly at night. As most round London do. They'd also likely be useless on an unlit road due to the setting.

Same as some of these super bright flashing LEDs some cyclist have. If they really are bright enough in sun, they'll be far too bright at night.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Those moronic cyclists don't like it when you flash your car's full beam back at them. So it's ok for them but not for cars?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Are you American? That's right, blame the council for not making te road nice and easy for you. If the road is slidy, then slow down and/or leave more gap.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Indicators should be on the corner of the vehicle, not in the middle of the rest of the lights. I've even seen one car (I think it was an early Ford Ka or Fiesta) where the indicator was so close to the middle of the car, it wasn't obvious if he was going left or right!

I do the opposite. When a BMW with solid on all the time with sidelights orange lights (why aren't they illegal?) approaches a roundabout from my right, I assume he's indicating left and pull straight in front of him. He gets my middle finger if he hoots at me.

Ah seperate lamps. That should be a legal requirement.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Also the head mounted ones which dazzle when they look at you.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That headlamp height would be illegal on a car, etc. But of course most cyclists don't do laws.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do their eyeballs not move? Do cyclists actually turn their head to look at something?

Reply to
Mr Macaw