OT: Driving electric cars in winter

Why not start the engine on a timer?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

In this country (the Uk) I believe it is illegal to have a vehicle on the public highway with it's engine running and especially when unoccupied.

"Stationary idling is an offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988,"

The Act enforces rule 123 of the Highway Code which states: "You must not leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road."

And regulation 107, which makes it an offence to leave an engine running in an unattended vehicle except in certain prescribed circumstances. (Quitting).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Plenty of cars in the northern US and Canada have a remote starter option, operated from the key fob. Very useful it can be, too.

Reply to
Davey

'Power' as regards a car generally means BHP. And a car with a high BHP produced at high RPM only could be a PITA to drive normally - unless it also produces reasonable torque at lower speeds.

If you enjoy rowing it along on the gearlever, maybe.

Neither a peak torque figure or a peak BHP figure tells the full story. But most makers attempt to give a decent spread of torque.

AS regards BMW, I had an early 24 valve six. Very high specific power output, and went very well when you thrashed it. But very lazy at low revs. The next version of the engine had single VANOS - it altered the timing on one camshaft. Quite an improvment at low to medium revs. The next version had double VANOS - both cams altered their timing. Now excellent low speed grunt without sacrificing the top end. Made the vehicle much more pleasant to drive. Point? The peak BHP and peak torque were virtually the same on all three. But the high torque was maintained over a much wider rev band.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That was exactly how my old Pontiac in Michigan behaved. It had a

24-valve, 4-camshaft V6, with virtually no power below 3500 rpm. Once that was reached, there was the proverbial kick in the back, and it accelerated strongly up to over 7000 rpm. It did not have variable valve timing. It was fun to drive.
Reply to
Davey

Yes - a peaky engine can appear fun when out for a thrash in a sports car. But very boring in normal driving.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So I understand, except, in those places most people have plenty of space and can keep their cars on their drives?

Essential in some extremes (sump and fuel heaters etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I assume that's one of those laws never enforced. Otherwise if you don't have a driveway and your windscreen is iced up, you either have to illegally drive with poor visibility, or not go to work. What on earth is the law preventing? Theft of your car? I'd say that's between you and our insurance company. If you have two keys (most people do) you can lock it anyway.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

It was left unattended like your body left unattended while posting stuff rod.

Reply to
dennis

I am not rod and have rod killfiled.

I see no problem leaving my car unattended. Would you also say I'm breaking the law leaving he keys in the ignition? Any crime committed in my car when it's stolen is the fault of the burglar.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

The only time I've come across remote start on a hire car in the US it was invaluable for giving the A/C a couple of minutes "head start" before you entered the car on a hot day.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

snip

On the rare occasions when I used it, and my last car there had it as standard, it was to get the chill off the circulating air when it was bloody cold. Some people would use it to get everything nice and toasty.

Reply to
Davey

Yes.

Do you know what a gearbox does?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Which will be easier to drive - a car with flat torque (or power - it doesn't matter which) between 1000 and 2000 RPM, or one with a flat curve between 3000 and 6000? Assume the same power output, and the former with three times higher torque.

The high power is also spread over a much wider rev band.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Common theft in many areas - and insurance companies are very unsympathetic - read the small print.

Reply to
bert

I've never met one - must be something new. It sounds sensible.

Last few auto boxes I've driven were Yankee cruisers - it certainly isn't common over there.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Then don't make statements which makes it appear that you don't

Yes it loses power.

It's torque that makes the wheels go round.

Reply to
bert

Yes, I would expect not to get money from my insurance for being clumsy, but I would also not expect to be punished by the law!

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Agreed - it is sensible. I guess somewhere there is an inclination sensor! Interacts very sensibly with cruise control.

It also has the ability to coast - and (depending on numerous factors) sometimes even tells you on the dashboard that is what it is doing.

Reply to
polygonum

Neither. identical really.

Just put a 3: 1 reduction ratio more on the latter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher