OT driving and watching a video on dashboard

I can't see them doing that. Yes a satnav is a distraction, but it is far less of a distraction than trying to consult a paper list of directions or a paper map, while looking out for road names which may even be behind you as you pass a junction and trying to recall the next part of the journey plan. Most roads have nowhere to stop to consult your directions, so you've got to do it on the move or end up miles past the turning you needed - even worse navigating in a busy city centre!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I saw a big UPS delivery van, driver in brown army fatigues, and a big CRT monitor in the cab. I think it must have been for the reversing camera, but it looked ever so "retro" (see what I did there?)

Reply to
Graham.

Ho ho. Don't you hate it when you cast your pearls before swine? The other night I was crossing the road at a mini-roundabout by cutting across the lanes as there was no traffic. I told my compatriots that I was "striking a chord". Might as well have saved my breath. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Actually it doesn't go on, it comes before the reference to CRT.

Para (2) seeks to clarify para (1) but in doing so it limits the display device to a CRT.

IANAL, but I recon a good one could get you off on a technicality.

Reply to
Graham.

An evil one might get you off, though I doubt it. A good one would ensure you got the punishment you deserved.

Reply to
Onetap

Isn't it Landrover that can have a clever screen that has a different display for driver and FS passenger?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Regardless of whether passenger and driver are seeing different things, no-one in another vehicle should be able to see any video.

A few weeks ago I noticed video (children's cartoons) on a screen in the back of, IIRC, some form of 4X4 on the M25 in the dark. It struck me forcibly that I could not remember ever seeing that before. Suspect someone who didn't know what they were doing simply put it too high on the seat back.

Reply to
polygonum

Plenty of the factory-fit screens for rear seat passengers fit into the headrests of the front seats.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No the lawyer/barrister is employed by you to get the best result for you and screw everybody else (and you of your money).

Anyway isn't the text we are arguing about the orginal rather than what is actually in place now after amendments?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't often look at my satnav. I rely more upon the voice instructions, although the countdown bar can be useful when within the last few hundred yards before a turn when there is more than one possible option.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It is an option on most high-end cars these days.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Indeed. I count over 100 amendment regulations issued so far, but CBA to go through them all to see which may amend this paragraph.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In article , Brian Gaff scribeth thus

Well it still sez CRT in the current regs. One of our neighbours is a barrister I'll ask him when I get a moment...

Reply to
tony sayer

Regardless of what has been quoted here, in effect, any screen capable of producing an image which the driver can see while the vehicle is in motion must only be used to show information relating to the condition of the vehicle or load (e.g. instrument readings or, in the case of the ones I drive most days, a picture of the emergency exit(s) or the image from a reversing camera. You can also have CCTV linkage with the load bay of a lorry, which is handy if you've got animals on board.) or information relating to navigation.

Reply to
John Williamson

Have they dropped the reference to "other cinematographic equipment", then?

Reply to
John Williamson

But, as a driver, I do not notice them. Do they have especially narrow fields of view? Or in some other way not attract my attention?

Reply to
polygonum

I'm not arguing. My opinion is that non-CRT video devices fall under the "other cinematographic apparatus" description and you'd be convicted under the act. You seem to disagree.

The only real test would be a court case arguing that defence. That may already have been done, there may be relevant case law but, SFAIK no-one can be arsed to trawl through the internet and court reports to find out.

We shall never know nor care.

Reply to
Onetap

We aren't discussing the content/information shown on the screen but the technology of the screen used to display that content/information.

The quoted section only mentions one type of screen technology (CRT) for the display of the information, it does not mention the other forms such as LCD, OLED etc. The section explicitly mentioning a single display technology can mean that anything related to restrictions on *that* technology need not apply to any other display technology.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

polygonum scribbled...

National Express Coaches had tellies for a while, but had to remove them when it was found that truck drivers were pulling up beside them on motorways and watching.

Reply to
Artic

Good God, this is only solicitor type costs and a simple trip to the magistrates court.

Reply to
ARW