OT: Dot Com scam?

Can't see that feature.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No guarantee that 123-reg are able to "bag" it before anyone else, most of the registrars have automated systems that snap release names up within seconds if someone has set it to watch for it being released, hopefully your name means relatively few people would be interested in that particular name, but who knows ...

£35 isn't a lot if the name (and lack of future similar hassle) means anything to you, if not then just carry on as normal with the .co.uk version.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Wait ages for it to resolve and then hover over the "?" next to the backorder button and that should do what you want.

You may be behind one of the bottom feeders by now.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Reply to
Steve

Why would that one matter anyway, there are plenty of other medwayhandyman domains available if someone wanted to cause trouble. eg.

.eu .net

I would think that medwayhandyman.co for £10 would be a better one to buy than .com

Reply to
dennis

.com domains are quite a bit more expensive than .co.uk... the £25 for 2 years is fairly typical

Reply to
John Rumm

Hum, my .com is US$9.99/year or around =A36.30.

My .co.uk is free, provided by my ISP, though I don't think that offer is available any more.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

£7:99 a year from Namehog.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Don't think I ever lost any business to the competitor, his web site was s**te. Only thing that did happen was a woman called to complain I had backed into her garden wall while she was out.

I wasn't anywhere near her address. A neighbour had seen his van with MEDWAY HANDYMAN Services on & she Googled it & found me.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I get annoyed at non-organisations registering as .org, similarly I get annoyed at non-companies registering as .co. It's destroying the whole *point* of the hierarchial domain naming system.

conservatives.com. - So, they're a trans-national commercial entity are they? What do they sell? Policies? What multiple countries do they operate in? Do they have policies for sale in South Africa?

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I think the loss can be in the confusion factor, potential client sees your van, just catches the name, googles it and gets the other site and a) he gets the call and the business or b) client sees a crap site and so doesn't bother, either way you can lose out.

As you say though, not a problem for you, you have made a great success of your venture but it is nice to cover the bases.

Reply to
fred

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not really

The last .com I renewed was £35.00 for five years, the .eu slightly more expensive at £45.00 for file years

djc

But the hierarchical system dosn't work if the categories don't fit the world as it is.

Originaly .com was just the catch-all for whatever was left over after pigeon-holing .edu .mil .gov .org, plus all the bits outside the US such as .uk .fr, .de. I am not a company most of the time, but sometime I may be more corporate than others, .me is just stupid. Which is why I prefer .eu for most things

Reply to
djc