OT: "Do I need a TV licence"

In any case, a CCTV monitor is way too low spec for DVD's. If a monitor is required, a PC monitor will be very much better, cheaper, and nowadays likely to come with an input to take a signal directly from the DVD player.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have a knife. It can be used to gut you like a trout. This does not mean I need to install anti-Gutting-Jerry-Like-A-Trout guards on the knife.

The law is perfectly happy with me simply refraining from the act.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Jerry, you are perfectly right about the initial question - please accept my apologies. The subject did move onto CCTV and I thought as I know a bit about it, I'd put in my pennys worth. To me, the company name would show credibility to the post - but I cannot see how it would be considered spamming. However, as this is my third post ever here, please understand this is a learning process for me! I am more than happy to share my experience in the CCTV world with anyone, including installation, data protection, licencing & TV's used in systems, etc but would like the accreditation all the same!

PC monitors will take VGA input but not TV signal input unless it has a TV adaptor, and not all of them are that effective in this case due to the way the screen is addressed.

Reply to
Paulr

a) It is a hassle. b) It is an expensive modification. c) It invalidates the warranty. d) It reduces its resale value. e) It may be required to watch TV in the future. f) There is no requirement to do so.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes you are perfectly right about the original question, my apologies. However it moved on to CCTV. As this is my 3rd posting on ANY Google forum please give me a bit of leeway! And as I do know a bit about CCTV, I thought someone might benefit from that. Putting your name at the bottom of a ligitimate post is not spamming as I know it, it is proving that I know what I am talking about, & giving credibility to my posts (hopefully).

I also noticed I have posted in the middle of a thread - didn't know you could do that! I have so much to learn..

PaulR, Security inStore.

Reply to
Paulr

Just so you know, this is not a Google forum. Usenet has been around for a long time (longer than the World Wide Web, so certainly longer than Google) - Google just provide a convenient front end to it. Sometimes posts made from Google's fontend seem to break things for those of using more traditional means of accessing the groups. It *may* be better for you to get an account with

and point a newsreader (perhaps Thunderbird from
but there are lots out there) at it. However, your messages don't seem to be causing problems at the moment, so you might be OK as you are. Welcome to the group!

Reply to
Stephen Gower

It would if there was a law requiring all knifes or there use to be licensed....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Correct, but that is not the point.

Untrue.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Colours will be way out though, unless you have a high grade monitor designed for graphics / colour correction work. Cheaper to buy two WS TV's and a licence !...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

That will take at least a couple of years for them to have a drinkable product and it can't be guaranteed even then.

I'm saving £2 coins (as John Peel did) for my wake, lots and lots of champagne!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Something not uncommon on this list Paul so don't worry ;-)

To me, the company name would show

Nor me .. ?

However, as this is my third post ever here, please

You carry on Paul .. ;-)

Need a couple of Sony CCTV colour monitors and brackets by any chance .. ? '-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

"Mary Fisher" wrote | > If you don't reappear on ukfdm soon they're going to start | > fermenting mead for the wake ... | That will take at least a couple of years for them to have a | drinkable product and it can't be guaranteed even then.

By then Retro Drinks will probably be all the rage and there'll be sachets of Instant Mead - just add water and use the jam programme in a breadmaker. Here on ukdiy the usual suspects will be boasting how they've made mead in a heatbank, and the usual nutter will be putting two combi boilers in his beehives.

| I'm saving £2 coins (as John Peel did) for my wake, lots and lots of | champagne!

You shouldn't say things like that. It could tip some homicidal champagne fetishist over the edge ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

........... one keyboard please!

You'l ... er ... he'll have to wait. There are only four coins in the box to date. Cava won't be allowed.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

^^^^ ^^^^

Looking at your command of the English language (above), it is no wonder that you cannot differentiate between, for example, CAN, MAY, MUST, COULD., SHOULD. By the way, if you can define and post proof of the meaning of these words, you might be found a lower order of respect in the uk.diy news group again. Right now, your esteem is down below the spammers of the internet.

I have had to use the written English language for nigh on 30 years in my career in the aerospace industry. This industry is renown for the clarity of the written word, unlike your loose interpretation of the W.T.A as applied to an 'installed piece of equipment'.

The Act is very precise and your interpretation of it beggars belief.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Typical of someone who has lost the argument, attack the others use of language or grammar....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

considered

Thanks Tim. I don't do Sony usually, but can get them if you really want. Or, theses are an excellent alternative:

and brackets
there a Private Message function or something lest I be accused of spamming again?! Paul Rainbow

Paulr

I would suggest that it is you that has lost the argument. Not I. LOL

The non understanding of language and grammar are the things that make myths of law and obscure the facts.

I reiterate, differentiate between, for example, CAN, MAY, MUST, COULD., SHOULD.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It's worth reading the FAQ at

- particularly the 'Can I advertise on uk.d-i-y' at
short, targetted reply to a particular request is just fine here in the uk.d-i-y newsgroup.

As to 'a Private Message function' - uk.d-i-y is a Usenet newsgroup. Far and away the best way of taking part here is to use a newsgroup reading program. Mozilla Thunderbird (download for free at

works well; many PC users also like Free Agent - see
Microsoft Outlook Express also makes some sort of a stab at accessing newsgroups (but like many other MS products, has its own better-than-standard ideas about How Things Should Work). Your ISP should have a newsgroup server as part of the services it offers you - or there are a variety of low-cost or free public-access newsgroup servers. Using uk.d-i-y this way puts you in the mainstream (and instead of needing some messy Web interface's idea of a 'private message function', you use the newsreader's built-in email client - or your existing email client linked to it - to send normal, Internet-standard email for a 'private', i.e. not-group-wide, message).

HTH - Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Well, without going over old ground, read the said Act and learn the meaning an use of the words OR & AND.

Which you are other have spouted plenty, you are the one posting myths.

NO, you differentiate between INSTALL, USE and the word AND./

Install OR use.

Install AND use.

Which of the two 'quotes' above has been quoted from the said Act and which one is pure myth ?....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::
[42 lines snipped]

Indeed. It's called "email".