OT: "Do I need a TV licence"

Thankyou for uttering that breath of fresh air into this utter rubbish that has been presented on this subject.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yes, what do you not understand about that.

If you lived that close to a TV transmitter, I doubt that any court would convict on this. Any court must be convinced that you were set up to 'receive any TV signal, by any aerial', before convicting you.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If it still has a working tuner and it is installed than it can be used to receive. If you have no intention of ever using the equipment than why have a tuner and why not have it permanently disabled / removed ?...

Having a licence is mandatory, using the equipment is optional.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

the channels, unless they are expecting that the tuner to be disabled internally ?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

WRONG, you can't even get what you say you agree with right !

If the video (VTR) is used to play-out a programme previously broadcast and recorded then the TV / Video needs to be licensed.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

WRONG, you don't even need an aerial to watch a broadcast programme, a VTR needs to be licensed if it is used to play-out a previously recorded broadcast programme.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Well stop adding to the utter rubbish than, you are just adding to the miss informed noise.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

yes, i think it's related to the device being capable of recieving the programs, not whether you actually watch them.

sammi

Reply to
sam ende

I don't know if things have changed, but it certainly used to be the case that a TV was classed as not capable of receiving if there was no aerial connection - ie a TV in a house with no indoor or outdoor aerial (and no cable or satellite), used purely for watching pre-recorded programs, did not need a licence. ISTR that years ago there was a court case about this and the defendant proved that he did not need a licence as he only used the TV as a monitor for his ZX Spectrum. There have been some changes since then and maybe this loophole has been closed.

Steve Walker

Reply to
Steve Walker

Good grief what a long and winding road this is. However, no one has asked why on earth use a TV for CCTV in the first place?

The difference between the two is that a CCTV Monitor has a higher resolution screen for greater clarity (up to 1200 tvl in monochrome, as opposed to somewhere around 400 TVL for a TV), it has phosphers (spelling? Sorry!)on the inside of the tube to stop the image from burning on to the screen (everything will eventually, but a TV will be ruined in 3 months) a CCTV monitor is usually cheaper to run, has the correct inputs, and usually a boosted output (loopthrough) to enable you to go to another monitor with no image loss, and is usually about =A3100 more than a TV.

If you are getting CCTV, don't skimp by =A3100, get a proper CCTV monitor and get all the benefits from your system. Paul Rainbow

Paulr

"Paulr" wrote | Good grief what a long and winding road this is. However, no | one has asked why on earth use a TV for CCTV in the first place?

Because they're cheap, there's already a big one in the lounge, and there's a spare on in the back bedroom or garage.

| The difference between the two is that a CCTV Monitor has a | higher resolution screen for greater clarity (up to 1200 tvl in | monochrome, as opposed to somewhere around 400 TVL for a | TV),

Yebbut, the cheapy CMOS cameras in most 'home' CCTV systems are only 200-300 lines anyway. For a professional-quality system - or one which has to comply with the Data Protection Act [1] - your points are valid.

Owain

[1] where data has to be sufficient and accurate
Reply to
Owain

OT Mary They are missing you over on alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains - There is a thread about you there!!

Reply to
Sparks

letters

Simple fact is, as far as the TVLA is concerned anyone who doesn't have a TV in their house is either a weirdo and a tax evader. If you are a weirdo (in their eyes, you are probably ok.)

All this nonsense about detector vans is crap. They just work on the basis that everyone in the UK has a TV licence, anyone who doesn't is fair game for investigation.

The few people I know who don't have TVs are constantly harassed by the TVLA but never to the point of being prosecuted. Quite simply if you are within the law you have nothing to worry about. There are far too many people who are actually trying to avoid paying than to worry about those few people who make a genuine stand about the issue.

Reply to
deckertim

What is crap is the remark above, not only can they tell if you are using a TV, some equipment can tell them the channel.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I didn't know I was important enough for people to talk about me :-)

They must be very bored ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So, you are using CCTV and plugging it in to existing TV's, in which case you have a licence already. Or, the CCTV is plugged into a dedicated TV in a house that has a family TV & so that licence covers it. Or you have a small shop/office/whatever you want to put a budget TV system in - so use a CCTV Monitor and dispell all doubts & concerns (and get a better image).

I understand the arguement, but it seems a lot of pontification & worry about something that need not be! Paul Rainbow

0870 950 1114
Reply to
Paulr

And all you are doing is spamming, the original question didn't mention CCTV, it was talking asking about viewing DVD's etc. - "What if you have a TV / Video / DVD player and only watch pre-recorded films etc?"....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Why should he pay 3 or 4 times the price for crappy 10" mono monitor? There is no legal reason he needs to.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"Mary Fisher" wrote | "Sparks" wrote | > They are missing you over on alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and. | > bargains - There is a thread about you there!! | Gosh! | | I didn't know I was important enough for people to talk about me :-) | They must be very bored ...

If you don't reappear on ukfdm soon they're going to start fermenting mead for the wake ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's interesting to consider the other looseness in the legislation. What is a television programme.

I looked at this a while back, and could find no detailed answer. If I watch an episode of "Popetown" (BBC series cancelled before broadcast) that I got on ebay, do I require a license? If it's later broadcast, do I now require a license?

Does it have to have been broadcast in the UK?

(AIUI, it does, as the legislation then goes on to specify a television programme as that broadcast by a television programme service, which has to be licensed in the UK)

Video-on-demand is NOT a television programme service, but the same issue of what a television programme is arises.

Reply to
Ian Stirling