OT dns behaviour

My CCTV remote viewing fails from time to time. The ip is dynamic so a DDNS service is used. I have found out by accident, that if the system doesn't work, rebooting the router will bring it back into operating correctly. The router is powered via a UPS. If I am away, all I can do is to wait for the service to magically reconnect which can take a few weeks. What is the ISP managing to do to prevent the DNS from working correctly? The DDNS service is not known for unreliability. I don't think I want an internet controlled heating system!

Reply to
Capitol

Most DDNS services allow you to see when the IP was last updated.

Either one or two things are happening.

1) your ISP IP changes and the router doesn't update the DDNS service 2) the port forwarding table or some other router feature has crashed

Either way I would be looking at either reflashing the router or getting a new one

Or get a timer to switch the router off every day for 15 minutes!!

Reply to
Fredxxx

What happens is that you get a new IP address assigned periodically when yours 'expires' Now at that point the DDNS should be informed - usually the router will do it if it gets issued a new address - but it seems that its not doing that.

So delve into router DDNS confougs - maybe you can tell it to do it more often

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the router and it does not allow DDNS updating. I guess the CCTV box is running a script. It may be that the box (the instructions for which are minimal!) only resets the DDNS at an infrequent interval (monthly), or when the network is reallocated if the router is switched. Which could explain the random behaviour.Looks like a timer might be the answer for when we're not here. However DDNS suppliers are not too keen on too many updates I understand.

Reply to
Capitol

If you use changeip.com ddns you could run a script in a raspberry pi or any other linux/unit box to keep the name pointing to the correct IP address.

Reply to
Michael Chare