OT: Disposable tools

That part's easy, it's sticking them back together afterward tha [NO CARRIER]

Reply to
Steve Firth

And then there's the Channel Tunnel boring machines...

Reply to
Bob Eager

That would have been a large part of it, no doubt. That, combined with the ferry costs (which for huge items like that and lots of them) would be substantial, hardly making it worthwhile to move them. Write them off, bury them, and move on. If I'd been living on the Shetlands, I'd have dug something up :)

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

vanished and been built on. At the end of a job, clearing site will involve lobbing everything into skips; screws, nails, boards, surplus iron mongery, paint, glue, etc.. No-one has room to store it and the waste disposal regulations make it risky for the site manager to authorize individuals taking stuff.

Makes skip-diving even more attractive, in my view.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Not interested

Reply to
The Other Mike

Pertinent to me because I have just unearthed a stock of steel driils from the loft and was wondering if it was worth resharpening them as drills are so cheap now.

Mind you, they were made when drills were drills.....

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Add turbos to that list.

Reply to
Part Timer

Oddly enough I keep a blunt one (with a big B written on the handle) for cutting stuff like PIR foam or anything else that would ruin a good one... (although the real kingspan may be like the celotex with glass fibre strands every so often that make it harder to cut)

Reply to
John Rumm

To saw bits off?

Reply to
dennis

I treat brushes as disposable, because you can get a 5-pack of bad brushes from Poundland for a quid, while the thinners to match the (obscure) paint type costs a lot more than that (when white spirit doesn't work), and then you're left with a jar of noxious hydrocarbon to dispose of. I don't know the embodied energy of the brush, but I suspect it takes less energy to make a new one than manufacture and safely dispose of the thinners.

If I did this every day I'd keep a regular supply of thinners on the go and filter it occasionally, and buy better quality brushes, but I don't.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

But they couldn't give you the Landrover now. Health and Safety you know. In case you drove it off a cliff and got some shyster lawyer to sue the arse off them

Reply to
fred

Ooh, good one ! Now I recall, the one turbo I had to change *was* an exchange piece. I was fascinated by the friction welding used, to ensure a balanced shaft.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

One notable example is "million dollar point" on Espiritu Santo in Vanuatu, where the US military dumped huge amounts of equipment at the end of WW2. It's quite a popular dive site now.

Reply to
Caecilius

Why does PIR foam ruin hardened edges?

Cheers Adam

(although the real kingspan may be like the celotex with glass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Taxpayers' money, plus all that military surplus brought back to the US and released would have hit somebody's profits.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It might be abrasive on a micro scale, same way as paper can wreck some scissors (although I believe that might have been true back when scissor steel might not have been all that good). As well as Kingspan, these saws were cutting EPS in equal amounts but they were doing fine with that. They're still fine at cutting insulation, but a definite drag for wook or plywood now.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Then those "tradesmen" haven't been properly taught on how it's done (if they actually teach them these days) - and I have yet to come across a "decent, modern hard-point saw" that cuts as sweetly as the old Disston's that I have in the tool-box (one ripsaw well over ninety years old).

Once the theory is instilled, saw sharpening skills are learned from constant practice over a long period of time (and doing at least one a week if not more), and along with the modern-day 'throw away' culture, time is something that is lacking in todays unseemly quick "training" of apprentices - even if they are eager to learn as much as they can.

Besides, any half-way decent 'chippie' will tell you rather impolitely to 'go away' if you ask him can you borrow his saw, or any of his tools for that matter , and particularly more-so with his 'sharps' - at least they would when I was earning a living using them (and I once played merry hell with SWMBO for lending an Estwing hammer of mine to a neighbour). Perhaps chippies aren't so fussy now!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I've never found a cordless impact driver that would put in a screw like my old Stanley Yankee ratchet screwdriver....

Things have moved on mate.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You really should use a special saw for cutting up wookies anyway

Reply to
NT

Yes, the hair clogs them up.

Reply to