OT: Disguised presents?

Even having looked at the picture, I'm not sure what the real present was. Three chopsticks? All those 2p pieces? Or the blue & red thingies at the ends?

I think awarding 10/10 for effort was mean. It's definitely worth 11.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Good point. It was the real bar at the back, given *after* I'd detected it was a hoax the first time round. ;-)

She was hoping I would open the fake straight off, assuming it to be a genuine present and then see the 'Two can play at that game' message.

In spite of me not doing that, she still gave me the real thing. ;-)

Hehe, I'll tell her (thanks). Apparently, she had considered spreading the coins along the length of the bar but added she'd already spent enough time on it as it was.

I did unwrap the hoax and open the carton to see what she'd done and her b/f noted I was paying more attention to the hoax than the real present! ;-)

We were all at her step sisters and our daughter and her b/f were doing to cooking. Daughter had also been practicing making cocktails (and mocktails) and had even knocked up some tri fold cocktail menu / lists.

was only as I type this I realise I didn't try any as I was on the beers). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I don't know?

Ah, sorry. I don't think I've ever had need to type it before but it just seemed to fit. ;-(

I guess I was using it to describe the giving of something but (specifically) as a gift? So not the same as, 'here is the salt'.

Well, I'm sure we all have out little foibles. ;-)

Mine are people, especially news readers and the like who say "... at eight a.m. yesterday *morning* ...". ;-(

Oh and "anythink" ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

OOoerr?

;-)

I am lucky in that I can't think of a single chocolate thing I don't like. So, when we get any sort of selection I'm more than happy to take whatever the others don't want.

Also, my threshold for 'sickly' seems to be higher than some. Like, I can easily eat a full sized Mars Bar and finish hers. ;-)

However, trying to keep the waistline in some sort of control means I generally stop way before that point these days. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

"anythink" really does grate.

Lots of foibles, I am sure.

My take always was that a gift is a thing that is given. That which is/was given is engifted? A rift is that which has been riven. A lift... oh well, maybe not.

Reply to
polygonum

I wonder if they would write it that way?

;-)

Ok ..

Not used that myself.

Hehe ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have done that with a second-hand Thorntons box and Tesco Value Assortment chocs.

I didn't, I got the Thorntons box out of the wheeliebin.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What? Even the butterscotch in Black Magic?

Reply to
Graham.

Well, I suspect that you have had longer than you think to get used to this particular usage. Sometime earlier this year I read a plaque on a wall in Edinburgh that used ?gift? as a verb. It had a date early in the twentieth century IIRC. (Now wishing I?d taken a picture of it as my belief that I would remember the details has proved false)

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Anything / everything. ;-)

I don't particularly like 'sucky sweets' / mints as I find them pointless. I want something that I can 'eat' and have it give me pleasure, quickly. ;-)

That experience is not confined to chocolate of course, I find similar pleasure in Walkers Cheers and Onion crisps, kebabs and curry. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. When we get them at all we tend to get the multi packs of crisps. It's only when you happen on a full sized bag as found in the likes of petrol stations can you really actually enjoy them (as there are more than 7 crisps in the bag)! ;-)

Reply to
T i m

(checks OED): first mention 16th century, spelled ?gyfted??

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

LOL!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Sounds a fun way to spend an afternoon.

I used to glue walnuts back together with little messages in when I was a kid. It did mean spending most of the afternoon cracking them open though and eating lots of walnuts. :)

Reply to
mogga

You are very likely quite right!

But it seems to have flooded into use in the last ten years (or something like that). All too often what seems new, odd, even wrong, actually has a long history and frequently pre-dates what seems usual.

Had a discussion the other day about receipt and recipe... QED

Reply to
polygonum

How about the needle and thread thing for pre-cutting unpeeled bananas?

Reply to
Bob Eager

My stitching is awful. Satsumas don't glue very well either.

Reply to
mogga

Who remembers when, just occasionally, in a selection box, under the bottom layer along with a satisfaction slip, there was a loan miniature chocolate to make up the weight.

Quaker business ethics?

Reply to
Graham.

Yes, that is a good one, though I never had the patience to do more than cut one in two. In principle you could slice it up completely, though.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , T i m writes

New Oxford English Dictionary 6h Edition 1986 gift v.t. To endow with gifts or presents

Not that new.

"Them" instead of "those " gets my goat.

Reply to
bert

In message , Graham. writes

Provided they produced their ration book with coupons?

Reply to
bert