OT digital radio

Page 2 of 2

As it happens there are a couple of utterly fascinating links between DAB and time signals. (Normal people can pass on to the next thread at this point).
OK, just us geeks left? Fine. First off, there is some sort of a time standard broadcast by the DAB networks, displayed by many of the receivers, which seems to be at least within a few seconds of the "proper" time standard as received by increasingly cheap and widely available radio-sync'ed clocks. Secondly, you'll find when you listen to the same station on both DAB and analogue FM that the DAB signal lags the analogue one by 2-3 seconds (presumably that's the encoding and decoding delay) - the same phenomenomenon is noticeable when digital-terrestrial transmissions of BBC1 and cousins is compared with analogue broadcast. The broadcasters seem to reduce this lag when transmitting the time pips (my impression is it goes down to 1sec), but there's still an intriguing "softness"/imprecision in the broadcast almost-a-synchornising signals as a result...
Stefek
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:41:23 +0100, Tim Mitchell

Top marks to you sir for having stayed awake!
PoP
I am greedy I have two DAB receivers.
One is a Technics and has digital outputs and analugue outputs for connecting to a amplifier.
The other is the Pure Evoke 1 which has a 3.5mm stereo analogue output which I have connected to an amplifier. I got the later as it runs off an external 12V power brick and I use it in a camper van fedding a power amp. This has a built in amplifier with an optional second speaker for stereo listening, yes optional, built to hit the 100 price mark.
I am impressed with both of them.
Check the signal strengths in your region. I added an external ariel to the hosue and found 4 or 5 multiplexes over 2 on the ribbon type ariel. One of them drops out occasionally under atmospherics or other enviroenmental issues.
The great bit is good sound quality with the receiver sitting close to some computers, where stereo FM got very nosiy.

Lawrence
usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

What stations do they want to listen to ?
The reason I ask is that the sound quality of Radio Stations is actually better in many cases on Digital Terrestrial TV (Freeview) than DAB, and for the same money you get some extra TV channels. Almost all models have phono out and I use mine through an amp as a radio much of the time, some BBC Channels e.g. Radio 6 etc even show the DAB type program information on the screen.
Chris
message wrote:

You should post this on uk.tech.digital-tv - you might get more responses than you bargained for, though!
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
dave wrote:

Posters to the < uk.people.consumers > news group may also advise you which suppliers to patronize/avoid; which suppliers tend to have a suitable stock and/or ship on time/tend to be out of stock and/or bill you before shipping etc. Also expereience with suppliers/reatilers who quickly honour any warranty concerns or refer you off the representative of the 'manufacturer', who may be in Taiwan/Mexico/S.Korea etc. All things to watch out for. Terry.

Many thanks all. Yes I know OT post but uk.d-i-y - *the* group inhabited by people who know stuff without going OTT :-) The dig. radio is in fact for my son - who tells me there are stations only transmitting digital signals(!). Of course this could all be a clever ploy :-) He listens to such thing as Drum 'n Bass (whatever that is).

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/broadband_internet_radio.htm contains links to nine 'Electronic - Drum & Bass' Net radio stations. If you have broadband this could provide him with the soundz until DAB gets sorted out.
--
dave @ stejonda