OT - Digital camera and a Currys warranty

What was your first digital camera?

Reply to
Richard

Bleeding edge technology.

Reply to
stuart noble

Peter,

The UK Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) is superior to EU law, as it makes the retailer responsible for 6 years (England and Wales) and 5 years in Scotland.

Up untill about a year or so ago, I was quite conversant with the SoGA (and the DSR) and have won a number of arguments with various retail and internet outlets over the years - but I have not troubled myself to get up to date with any recent new legislation so things may have change slightly

Cash

Reply to
Cash

DSRs are gone, now its CCICACRs

Andy Burns

fred,

That's one of the reasons I have decided not to take up Currys 'nice' offer as because of my age, I may not be around that long - although SWMBO reckons I'd better be around for many more years yet to do all the jobs that she want's doing. ;-)

As a matter of interest, I got a round to using the HD video side of the new camera with the grandchildren and their friends today (garden was full of screaming kids) and the videos turned out rather well, so I thought it well worth the expense. Saving up now for a Macro lens for it now - (new at around ?300).

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Thanks for the link Andy, I'll have a read of that.

Cash

Reply to
Cash
8<

They don't go out of date that quick. Almost any DSLR will still take perfectly good pictures after 10 years, there are plenty about that prove the point.

If they perfect the ray tracing cameras like the Litro then all bets are off.

Reply to
dennis

All bets are off what?

Reply to
Richard

Or some extension tubes at

Reply to
alan_m

It is a cool idea...

Reply to
Tim Watts

A Kodak. I forget the model ref. I still have it though the files are unrea dable through lack of suitable software.

ISTR it had 1 megapixel which was reckoned to be all anyone could ever need .

And I think it cost about £700 which was a fair whack for those days.

Reply to
fred

The fact that they still function after 10 years is not really relevant. A

100E side valve Ford Angllia might still toodle around a bit but it would s till be out of date. The last time I looked the Kodak camera I bought aeons ago still worked. I have a Canon 5 megapixel model of about 15 or so years vintage which still works but is way out of date. The colour rendering in particular is poor.

They were pushing it (the Lytro) hard at Photokina but I wouldn't be that i mpressed. Bit of a one trick ponyIMHO

Reply to
fred

Mine was a (probably) similar spec. Ricoh. Amazing that Kodak could at one and the same time flog digital cameras and manage to make so many mistakes in deciding what to do about the then-imminent digital revolution.

Reply to
polygonum

If it was a very early Kodak digital camera (DC20, DC120 or DC50, IIRC) the software is still available on the Kodak website.

Or mail me and I'll send you a copy. It's only a few hundred kilobytes and it converts the proprietary format Kodak used to one that is still readable. There are 2 versions, one for Windows 3.1 and one for Windows

95, which installs and works under XP. I've not tried it on anything later.
Reply to
John Williamson

how we will take photographs in future.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But it was poor when it was new, too. The only thing that's changed is your expectations. It's not like that 100E, where the other vehicles you're sharing the road with have moved on to the stage where using it for daily commuting would be hazardous, solely because the operating environment has changed. It's merely that what you used to be happy with, you now know was a bit shit.

Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

After the foothills years, consumer dSLRs suddenly reached a plateau of performance around eight/nine years ago and everything since has been more pixels and improving colour rendition and ISO range (and adding bells whistles). My ancient Canon 10D still takes an excellent 6MP shot, just as quickly as the day it was made and if I use it properly, I don't actually need more pixels than that anyway. It's now only worth 30 quid, so not even worth giving it away, but it and others of its day are still bloody good cameras.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Agree with you there. If my canon 40D packed up (8 years old) I'd buy another.

Reply to
RJH