OT: Did you know...

Makes him a diamond geezer, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wish that you would make this point to the DVLA regarding Road Tax discs. ;-)

Reply to
PJ

I 'spose. The National Lottery springs to mind when one considers the chances of winning anything.

Taxation for the gullible.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Weellll..... I don't think that's how they saw it.....

There weren't any expressions like "Great bloke.... used to send his mother flahs 'n' that"

Reply to
Andy Hall

Don't get me started on that organisation. I've just had a run in with them and the motor insurance database people for incompetence.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Indeed, Peerages spring to mind...;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Exactly.

The average black cab driver will be rejoicing at the death of that renown left wing wimp Pinochet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

perhaps for those with no other hope

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Which of them won?

Reply to
Joe

Don't ask. That chap has run-ins with every organisation you can think of if they don't toe his line.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There is quite a list of exemptions besides that. They could even claim that a wreath with the Charity's name on it is advertising, which is zero rated.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I was actually asking which organisation put on the finer display of incompetence.

It's not actually either illegal or immoral to criticise incompetent people. Probably not fattening, either.

Reply to
Joe

So what made me fat?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Those famous Mississippi gamblers - Fat Chance and Sam Hopes....

That's a sad state of affairs since it's estimated that 95% of the population have bought a lottery ticket at some point. I forget what the percentage is for regular purchasers but it was similarly high.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Neither. The customer did by changing the game.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah.. In that respect it was neck and neck so I circumvented the issue entirely.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I passed over this when you posted. :-(

Just how can they claim the VAT back?

Wife has been, over the years, a leading light of the Royal British Legion, a Beaver Scout leader, a Group Scout leader and in later years was elected to Assistant District Commissioner.

Are you saying that there is room to get back the VAT from all the transactions that have taken place over the years? And how far back can she go?

Many thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Feck that what about father shitmess.

Did you know he was invented by a famous coke distributor?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

VAT registration doesn't allow them to claim back VAT collected on sales (output tax). It only allows claimback when the tax collected (output) is less than that paid to the Revenue on purchases (input tax).

It's quite complicated with zero-rated and exempt goods being treated differently, but an example /might/ be a factory purchasing VATable materials like fabric but selling vat-exempt/zero-rated goods like children's clothes. The factory would pay VAT on purchases, but wouldn't be collecting VAT from its customers. In such circumstances the various 'schemes' allow the factory to get a refund of the VAT paid to its suppliers.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from "Weatherlawyer" contains these words:

No he wasn't, only the red and white costume. The underpinnings are much the same as they had been in middle Europe for hundreds of years.

Reply to
Guy King