OT Definition, please

What does 'no-brainer' mean, please?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Tsk Mary!!!

Google is your friend.

EricP

It means an offer too good to miss usually, or an obvious choice

Reply to
Phil L

Someone from Leeds?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think it usually means a situation where the remedy or answer is so obvious you don't need to ask anyone or look for the answer

Reply to
Stuart

An electric or real kettle? For you, that's a no-brainer.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Shouldn't that be Someone from Leeds Like?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That's not a definition, it might be an example but I still don't understand it!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

would be able to tell me :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, you're right...

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Making pumpkin pie can be a no-brainer if you use frozen pastry and canned filling."

It seemed to me that a no-brainer was something which didn't make sense, or was even wrong.

Ah well, I hope I can remember next time I hear it in context :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Switch the telly on. There is a dick in trouble over the term making front page news. Or has been the last day or so. Unfortunately he is a no brainer so the issue will have got mangled by now.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

|What does 'no-brainer' mean, please?

It, is a very slight exaggeration, meaning that you do not need a brain to understand it.

Like the meaning of 'no-brainer'?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Paul Herber

I don't understand that example either!

But, to answer the original question: As others have said, it means that something is obvious and needs no brain-power to work it out.

It's in the news at the moment because either Cheney or Rumdsfeld - can't remember which or how to spell their names(!) - said something about subjecting terror suspects to mock drowning in order to get information from them was a "no-brainer" - meaning that he believed that it was the obvious thing to do (quite apart from any considerations of legality or potential torture!)

Is that any clearer?

Reply to
Roger Mills

It's not really English though - more of an Americanism.

Hence the allusion to "pumpkin pie".

I suppose a lot of Americanisms appeal to 'no-brainer' Brits as a result of much US TV cheap imports ;-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Something so simple that you wouldn't even consider wasting your time looking for it on the first page of a Google search, let alone enquiring like an idiot about it on a Usenet forum.

An alternative meaning is "a person who repeatedly and consistently posts to a Usenet forum whilst almost never contributing anything pertinent, relevant or helpful to the common topics of said forum."

HLAH

It means a decision even you can see is obvious, Mary.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, but that is just being lazy! :-)

Reply to