OT:Decent news server ?

Virgin Medias usenet access is titsup - again. Life is too short to try and deal with their "engineers" who seem to insist that restarting my browser is the cure.

I've switched to Eternal September, but ISTR it doesn't support moderated groups ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It has and works with at least some moderated groups. Why don't you just subscribe to the one[s] you want and see?

Reply to
Robin

I get mine from giganews

Reply to
mogga

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 10:36 Jethro_uk wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Odd - I read uk.legal.moderated via Eternal Sept

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have issues with BT access from time to time, it turns out that when I initially connect to the internet, if they assign me an IP address in the

31.x.x.x range than I can't access news groups, if I disconnect and re-connect a couple of times I get an IP address in the 81.x.x.x range and all is well.

might be worth looking into when you can't access virgin media??

Reply to
Gordy

It wasn't reading it, it was trying to post ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Hmmm ... problem is I'm on fibre, and the "super" hub (in modem mode) just picks up the same IP address each time.

there are quite a few posts on the VM forums about this. With absolutely no interest at all from the tech support staff. I tried to log a support call yesterday, but certainly no one in their call centre has any clue about NNTP, or usenet. They kept on saying I had a "browser issue" and need to use my "virgin media username".

The only sure way to get their attention is to cancel your contract :(

Reply to
Jethro_uk

As an aside, is there a reason why now I see a lot of posts showing individually, rather than in threads ? This topic is threaded, but there are lots of "RE:" posts.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

TBF, usenet's never been top of their priority list - but these days, it's so minority that they've probably never heard of it - and, if they have, don't realise they still run an NNTP server.

And so Usenet died, gently, one group by one group, one server by one server...

Reply to
Adrian

Can you post though?

Reply to
John Rumm

Last time I had an issue, I managed to discover that VM had offloaded their usenet provision to a company called Highwinds. I was able to contact Highwinds support direct, and they fixed the issue within a couple of hours. They put VM customer "support" to shame.

Sadly attempting the same trick yesterday just got a "you need to contact VM direct" reply.

One support technician yesterday wanted to take control of my computer via my browser. Makes you wonder how they'd cope if was using a headless server ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I have seen posts which appear to come from Tim; and I can post there via the noiseless patient Spider

Reply to
Robin

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 11:56 John Rumm wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes - frequently :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

VM usenet is shit. ES does support moderated groups and you can say what you like. This is also okay.

Mr Pounder

In message , Jethro_uk writes

Demon also use Highwinds, I believe, and that broke at the end of last week and only came back yesterday. Demon's advice included "refresh your newsgroup list" which I did.

I used Eternal September via Pan while it was down. When it came back posts took several minutes to clear the system and appear. I was only embarrassed by one duplicate post, so it looks as though when it was down posts were lost.

Reply to
Bill

astraweb does a block of 1 terrabyte unlimited for US $50

Reply to
F Murtz

I've found them to be excellent! I like the fact that a block lasts until it runs out, not until a specific date. Well worth it.

Reply to
mick