OT: Dark lightning.

It is dated April, but not April 1st..:-)

one in a thousand strikes on aircraft won't be visible, but will give you a lifetime dose of radiation in microsecond.

Harry, are you a man who does a lot of flying?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Who defines a lifetime dose of Gamma rays though. I remember some years back being made aware of research that said energetic particles hitting the atmosphere can create large pulses of harmful radiation which can be absorbed by airline passengers. If it were that bad, however by now there would be lots of people with symptoms from that one would have thought. No matter what you can measure, the risk is not just the measured dose, but whether it is very localised on one part of a body etc. The body can repair this sort of damage. its evolved to do so of course as we live on a planet with radioactive rocks and gasses to start with. I'm more interested in sprites and ball lightening though as these are not well understood. Some would also suggest that the potential in many storms of a conventional kind are not enough the break down the insulation of the air even when wet to make lightening strike the ground, and it has been proposed that small particles streaming in all the time cause localised ionisation which allows a small current to flow, leading to an avalanche type breakdown we see as lightening.

It would certain explain why it appears to be zig zag and random, rather than merely striking the things closer to the cloud with the highest potential. Also interesting of course is the question why this also does not end in more internal lightening inside the active cells themselves. all that friction... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Washington Post = Daily Mail. Maybe worse. Directed at dopey USAians. I wonder how much you get from using a mobile phone?

I only fly when I go on holiday. And I never went on Concorde, the best way of getting irradiated.

Do you use a mobile phone much?

Reply to
harryagain

It is dated April, but not April 1st..:-)

Which mobile phone emits ionising radiation?

Do you panic when another person is next to you as they are radioactive?

Reply to
dennis

He's the mole from mumsnet...

Reply to
Adrian C

harryagain

As opposed to well educated British female WASPs? I wasn't aware the Washington Post was a front for the US equivalent to the BNP. Odd that they ran with the hand grenade for Richard Nixon -if such is the case.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

More swivel-eyed loons.

Reply to